Question about IC Sockets

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by droggie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Is the IC socket soldered onto the pcb first and then the IC chip is inserted? Or is the IC chip inserted into the socket then soldered?
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Either way depending on your needs/setup.
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I usually solder the socket, then put the IC in, that way, there's no unnecessary heating of the IC...
  4. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    If you solder the socket with the IC in it, just as well not use a socket.
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Not quite true, the point of a socket (IMO) is to be able to repair a board in the field, when you know there is a chance you may need to replace the device someday. It is also useful on designs that are not proved out, and there is an opps factor.

There are differences in types of sockets too, some are much more reliable than others.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are the cheapest and least reliable. They work, but as with every thing in life you get what you pay for.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are the better types, called machine pin sockets.

Generally I install the chips after soldering the sockets.
    nado and SPQR like this.
  6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I've had the occasion when using Bill's cheapest types of sockets to have the solder wick up inside a pin, thus making it impossible to insert a device.

Had the device been in there when I soldered the socket (which seems to senseless to me I've never thought of doing it) the device itself would be soldered in place. Inserting the device after solder at least gives you the chance to catch this.
    Metalmann and shortbus like this.
  7. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I used to use machined pin sockets religiously, for the same reason, until I had an experience with them failing after numerous insert/extract cycles as the IC legs got formed to the socket hole shape and started to get bad connections due to the lack of any spring in the contacts.

These days I use the sprung type "cheap" sockets on practically everything. I still have some stocks of machined pin sockets, and try to use them up on things where I know the IC will not need to be removed at all.
    SPQR likes this.
  8. droggie

Thread Starter Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I soldered the socket first; only so I can remove the chip for other uses.