Question about hard questions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    1) How do you usually respond to questions like how long will it take to fix.
    In the event that your knowledge/skill/ability will allow you to fix it but you
    don't have enough experience in fixing a particular problem that you can't give a good estimate ?

2) Or how do you respond to a problem you can't fix because complications you haven't foreseen down the road arise? This could happen once in a blue moon.

3) how do you respond to a person you don't agree with but still has to work with and do what he wants in a particular situation ?

4) how do you give estimates on how long it will take to complete in the face of uncertainty ?

These are questions about how you should respond to a person when you are not sure.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If it is true, I have found I don't know to be a good answer.

If it is a project, I guesstimate the worst case time it will take to complete, then X2.

3. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "How do you usually respond to questions like how long will it take to fix".

I always said, "I'll be done with this, as soon as I am finished".;)

4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    I always told the truth. That's why they wouldn't let me work in marketing or sales.

same answer, tell the truth.

Tell them the truth, advise them best course of action. Document everything. make your manager aware that somebody else is driving the train off a cliff and you have no authority to prevent it.

Do your best, put in a little margin.

5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Or find a similar project somebody else did and double that time.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    In the TV repair business we used to say "It will take 2 or 3 days, unless there is some holdup with parts ordering or something".

It gives the customer some reassurance that it will be done quickly, and also informs them there is a (smaller) chance that the time could blow out, and this is something normal that just happens sometimes.

If you "have to do what he wants" that sounds like part of your job, and you should do your job as well as possible which means "doing what he wants" as well as you possibly can.

You can voice your opinion so he knows you disagree, but only do that once as any more than once becomes nagging or a power struggle, and neither is appropriate if you are paid to "do what he wants".