Question About Fuses

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chartology, Feb 7, 2014.

1. chartology

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm looking for a SOC 3A fuse, but am having a hard time locating it through the standard parts suppliers (DigiKey, Mouser, etc). I'm assuming it's a fuse (I'm more of a software guy).

[​IMG]

Is there a specific name or attribute for this type of fuse? I've seen them referred to PICO, but searches on result in these green, almost resistor looking fuses. Are these the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    It is a 3amp fuse.

Fast or slow blow I have to check

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
  4. chartology

Feb 7, 2014
    Hey, thank you!

The only problem is, I only need one. That's for a lot of 20. I don't know if I'll ever need another one haha.

Do you know if these types of fuses are being manufactured any more? Or has the form factor changed?

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    If it is changed I don't think you can get it.

Try taking apart a standard glass fuse. Take out the wire and solder it

6. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
  7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I have successfully soldered wires to the caps of an inline glass fuse.

Metalmann likes this.
  8. chartology

Feb 7, 2014
    That's fantastic. Thank you all for your help. I didn't think I could use any 3A fuse.

Just for information purposes, I'm repairing a Panasonic RR-930 Microcassette Transcriber. It's an older device, and there's no surface mount components. The fuse failed a continuity test after I noticed there was nothing leaving the power supply circuit.

9. chartology

Feb 7, 2014
  10. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I have found that soldering glass fuses at the ends may destroy them if you not are very quick. As you may desolder the fuse wire in the process. It is more safe to solder them on the top side. However glass fuses are plated with a plating that as thumb rule is not solderable. The trick here is to file down the latter plating(with some care) until you expose the metal under the plating. Then solder your wire onto it

11. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "I have found that soldering glass fuses at the ends may destroy them if you not are very quick."

Yes, I'd hit it with 2-3 light strokes of a diamond file, then flux, then solder them.
    The quicker, the better.:cool:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Look farther down the page for a whole bag of 3 amp fuses at $3 instead of $30.