question about electrical length of a center fed dipole

donut

Joined May 23, 2012
Im reading the ARRL 19th edition Antenna Book, chapter 2 of antenna fundamentals.

Under the section of "Impedance of a Center-Fed Dipole" it tells me that:

A center feed dipole can be any length electrically, as long as it is configured in a symmetrical fashion with two equal-length legs.

my question is what is the books meaning of "any electrical length". I suppose I am asking what defines "electrical length"

Please provide an example instead of a web link.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
It is based on the length of one cycle of the frequency being fed into the antenna. That is determined by the speed of light and the specific frequency. There are frequently conversion factors and multipliers to adjust for physical factors. The electrical length is speaking on the number of wavelengths at the frequency in question.

donut

Joined May 23, 2012
It is based on the length of one cycle of the frequency being fed into the antenna. That is determined by the speed of light and the specific frequency. There are frequently conversion factors and multipliers to adjust for physical factors. The electrical length is speaking on the number of wavelengths at the frequency in question.
So is the electrical length just the λ(wavelength) = c/f for a specific frequency?