Question about DC motor with 4-wires

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Nicholas, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Nicholas

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Mar 24, 2005
    Hi all

I just got a trophy for being on the forum for 8 years. Time flies :(

Well, I have a general question about a 4-wire 4-6V DC motor. How does such a thing work? Is there any
    way to make the motor run by just applying voltage? I don't need to differ the speed, just go or no go :)

Thanks,

Nicholas

[​IMG]

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Looks like a stepper motor to me. So no, there is no easy way to get it working with just DC.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Looks like it might be a stepper to me also, it could be a wound field DC motor, but not likely, short the wires together and try and spin the shaft, if it it very hard to do compared to open, then confirms a bi-polar stepper.
    Also check that the two separate winding's are the same resistance.
    Max.

4. Nicholas

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks guys,

If I need a device like this, simple motor with the ability to make stuff go left/right(x-axis) where would I go? I need it to go either full speed one way, full
    speed the other way or not going at all :) 5V or 12V or the like. If I can get away with not having a controller I would prefer this :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

5. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    That is a stepper motor commonly found in DVD/Floppy drives.You will need to use UNL2003 to run it.You have a bipolar motor which means things will get a bit more complicated since you cant really provide power to it with out using few tricks or using expensive drivers.

Here:

http://www.globalspec.com/reference/8273/348308/3-8-4-stepper-motors

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    ronv likes this.
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    No controller and simply on/off switch, find a DC brushed motor.
    Max.

7. Nicholas

Mar 24, 2005
    Can I get that motor already on a form of slide or screw like the one above?

8. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    They can be found in DVD drives or maybe on eBay.

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Some stuff like that here.. Obviously it would help if you provided requirements/specifications like required speed/distance/torque,etc.. "full speed" could be anything..
    http://www.mpja.com/DC-Motors/products/100/

10. Nicholas

Mar 24, 2005
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your input. I'll make a small video where I will try to state what I am looking for, and make a new thread

Thanks!

Nicholas