Question about current through connectors

buaku

Joined Oct 16, 2009
I'm currently building a rig to run my arcade motherboards through a regular tv (a 'supergun' as it is known). I want my power supply separated from the rest of the guts. The power supply will be in one project box and the supergun parts in another. I like to keep things modular.

Now my hardware (from what I've read) can probably pull around 10A fully loaded on the +5V rail. I've been looking for connectors that can do 15A to give myself some headroom. I did find some Amphenol XLR connectors, but they're too big and a pain to work with.

So I went and found something else. I found a set of connectors that says it is rated at 7.5A at 20V, so would it be correct to think it could handle 30A at 5V? If so, why not?

Thanks!

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
So I went and found something else. I found a set of connectors that says it is rated at 7.5A at 20V, so would it be correct to think it could handle 30A at 5V? If so, why not?

Thanks!
If your laboring under the impression that they are rated in Watts, (both of those E x Is=150W) they're not .

buaku

Joined Oct 16, 2009
Thanks and yes, it was the wattage issue that was getting to me.

I was really hoping to find something panel mounted if at all possible, but I suppose I could have a set of wires coming out of each box. I'll have to look into that.

buaku

Joined Oct 16, 2009
Yeah I've tried there and mouser.

I usually have a harder time finding what I want through digikey. Biggest issue is using the right terminology. I'll look again though.

Another question I have is the board has 4 spots to hook up the +5V. If only one wire were hooked up I assume all the current would flow through there, now if I had all four hooked up should the current be spread out among those four spots?