Question about crystal oscillator

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Crystal oscillators tend to be single frequency devices, although they can be used at harmonic frequencies. Here is the Wikipedia article about them - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator.

If you are careful about layout and bypassing, the oscillator would be reasonably stable. But it won't tune to a different frequency, although you can always drop in another crystal.

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

In the web site it say that you can adjust the frequency by changing C1 value, so I would use a triming capacitor and replace it by a fix cap wen I would have the right frequency.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Read it again!

Values of capacitor (C1) and xtal (X1) to be varied for required frequency.

The crystal sets the basic frequency.

It's possible with careful tuning to get the circuit to oscillate at various overtones of the crystal's fundamental frequency, but these are basically multiples of the fundimental.

If you want xtal stabilized clocking at various rates, you'll need to start out at a higher frequency and use clock dividers.

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

Here around I can not find a 11.2896 mhz crystal, and order it by mail would cost me quite to much high price for the minimum shipping cost.

I only have a 11.275 mhz crystal and a 11.840 mhz crystal.

So I did think to use an oscillator that I can adjust a bit the frequency.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello,

A crystal oscillator can be "pulled" for a maximum of 700 ppm.
See the design notes in the PDF.

Greetings,
Bertus
And you REALLY have to work at it to get that much "rubber". I used to build VXO's, and by the time you got them working right, it was faster to regrind the crystals!

eric

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As eric KL7AJ already told you, the old crystals could be grinded.
I used to do it with VIM on a glassplate, to get the frequency higher.
If you wanted a lower frequency you painted the crystal with black lacquer.

Greetings,
Bertus

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello,

As eric KL7AJ already told you, the old crystals could be grinded.
I used to do it with VIM on a glassplate, to get the frequency higher.
If you wanted a lower frequency you painted the crystal with black lacquer.

Greetings,
Bertus
You could also use McClean's toothpaste instead of Vim. It goes without saying that anything that could grind quartz down probably did wonders for your teeth too!

Eric

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

Looking at Crystals Oscillators

There is various types of Crystals Oscillators with different kind of output, which ones, in those output types can drive four 74HCT74 ?

Crystals Oscillators output types; TTL - HCMOS - LVPECL - LVDS - LVDS

Thank

Gaetan

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
How far can you bend a ceramic resonator. Is this a useful technique to get more spread that a xtal provides yet still have a good measure of frequency stability?

gaetan8888

Joined Nov 14, 2008
Hello

Fox made the FXO-HC52 serie, a very low jitter ceramic resonator crystal oscillator, at very low price and seem quite interesting.

But is it true that the ceramic resonator crystal oscillator have less precise timing and do age more rapidely compared to the quartz crystal oscillator ?

Maby those new models of ceramic resonators crystal oscillator would be much better ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Hello

Fox made the FXO-HC52 serie, a very low jitter ceramic resonator crystal oscillator, at very low price and seem quite interesting.

But is it true that the ceramic resonator crystal oscillator have less precise timing and do age more rapidely compared to the quartz crystal oscillator ?

Maby those new models of ceramic resonators crystal oscillator would be much better ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan
Quartz crystals will always be superior to ceramic resonators as it a material with a much high Q value.

Lefty