question about creating as built drawings

dayman

Joined Jul 29, 2013
hello

Im just over a year out of college, received my associates degree in electronic systems engineering.
Ive been working at a manufacturing site for about 2 years, older automated equipment

Im currently trying to begin project that would look to create as built drawings for a large number of this equipment[bc drawings were lost long ago] / updated outdated/existing drawings on the rest.

The job is tracing out wires, labeling everything, creating Ladder drawings in CAD
I have a quote being prepared by an engineering firm, but Im wondering if it can be done in house.

Would this be considered Technician work or Engineer work?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The job is tracing out wires, labeling everything, creating Ladder drawings in CAD I have a quote being prepared by an engineering firm, but Im wondering if it can be done in house.

Would this be considered Technician work or Engineer work?
Technician work. An Engineer could do it, but it would be a waste of design resources.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
what about the CAD portion?
The legal definition of what constitutes a non-salaried position versus a salaried one boils down to how much of the work requires "gray" decision making. For salaried positions, that makes up around 80% the job. For technicians, it's more like 20%.

Transcribing circuits as built and using CAD instead of drawing by hand involves very little "gray" decision making.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The job is tracing out wires, labeling everything, creating Ladder drawings in CAD
what about the CAD portion?
Your question is not clear. You want to make CAD drawings, What about the CAD part?

I say, "Make them".
What? A tech or an an engineer? Whomever you have that can make CAD drawings. The last time I checked, it didn't require an engineering degree to make drawings.

and...dl324 got here first.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I was once a senior technician in a large Co, and I did both, using AutoCad which I have used since the earliest version, so I have a acquired a large library of symbols in Hydraulic, Electrical and electronic.
Reverse engineering of an old system requires alot of bull work, and can be tedious.
You also need to be acquainted with Ladder layout as well as electronic schematics and symbols also.
There is also the cataloging of part No's used etc.
BTW, they also had an Engineer doing the same work that I did.
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Really it comes down to...Is your "technician" capable of doing the job?
Sounds like a technicians job to me..

Engineers...engineer. If its already build there is no Engineering needed.. Just someone capable of doing the task at hand..