question about coil inductance

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
i have a question about the coil on a magnetic can crusher. would it be best to use few turns to maximize current flow, or would it be better to use many turns to maximize the inductive field? also, would it be better to use heavy guage wire or smaller wire? thank you much! :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
i have a question about the coil on a magnetic can crusher. would it be best to use few turns to maximize current flow, or would it be better to use many turns to maximize the inductive field? also, would it be better to use heavy guage wire or smaller wire? thank you much! :)
Field strength depends proportionally on both amps and turns. For a coil of any given size, you have to calculate out how your choice of wire gauge will impact both of those. It's not at all simple, and you need a wire table for details of ohms/1000 feet, diameter with insulation, and so on. On the other hand, you could probably make some simplifying assumptions and get "close enough".
Some here may be able to get you close if you can specify your max current and coil size parameters.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Be advised, we do not entertain discussion of Tesla-type high-voltage capacitor bank discharges, which I think is where you want to go.

I built a can crusher; it is purely pneumatic, and rather art-deco.