Question about capacitors...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by 'Ol Sparky, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 'Ol Sparky

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Whoever is out there that could answer this, I have a question. Everyone knows that capacitance is measured in Farads, but why are most regular capacitors 1-100μ/ 1-100m farads? If one is more it qualifies as a supercapacitor. Why is that???

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Why is a large fry at McDonald's called "Supersized"???

People make up these names. If you can find the guy who decided to call large capacitors Supercapacitors, ask him.

3. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Remember when UHF was really high frequency? Just can't wait for the first MF capacitors. I wonder what they will be called. John

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Supercapacitors were originally labeled because they used a different manufacturing process and materials than other capacitors at the time.

Now the term is applied to any large value of cap, usually > 0.1F, but more accurately in the Farad range.

6. 'Ol Sparky

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cool, Thanx people! That makes sence. :D

7. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    In the old days we had Mica caps, then we had to make out own "gimmicks" as they were referred to back then. Nowadays if I'm operating with above UHF I've got to calculate simple capacitance of the PC board and maybe make a pad big enough to satisfy it with a larger area related to a ground plane. I prefer to use varactor diodes but sometimes you've got to put those in series with a tiny pF cap just to get there.