Question about battery charging

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hcchuar, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hcchuar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2008
    i"m using below circuit to charge up my car battery, and i'm using solar panel as a power supply, is around 2A-3A as a output for solar panel, my charging voltage for car battery is around 14V-14.7V

i'm also using my car battery to power my electrolysis system at the same time (is around 7A needed), but not using all the time, while the charging system is in progress and i'm using the car battery to power my electrolysis at the same time, my charging voltage will drop to around 13V, will this spoil my car battery?anyone know about this?need any circuit to solve this problem?
  2. duffy

Dec 29, 2008
    Another automotive electrolysis system. I really wish you people wouldn't attempt to do hair removal while driving, it's dangerous.
  3. hcchuar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2008
    i'm using this for school project purpose, i want produce hydrogen through electrolysis.....anyone can help me?
  4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Yes, and no. Maybe.

Sulphation of the plates is not a worry until the voltage drops to around 12.4V, so the loading of the photovoltaic supply will not be causing any problem.

However, regular car batteries are best for short duration high amp use - followed by immediate recharge. You know, like "starting a car."

For slow discharges like your net 4 to 5 Amp application, you would be better off with a deep cycle marine battery.