Question 2 DC Motors

ronandavid

Joined Jul 12, 2016
hi and im new in this forum sorry if i posted it in the wrong section , but my question is this is it possible to control 2 dc motors using 4 microswitch with common , no , nc contact ( joystick mechanism ) , the forward switch will control the 2 motors forward and the reverse switch will control the 2 motors reverse , and the left switch will only control 1 motor which is the right motor , and the right switch will control the other motor which is the left motor ( just like electric wheelchair ) btw 24v supply , your help is much appreciated thanks. :)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The forward and reverse is easy, you wire the motors in parallel so they both do the same thing according to the switch selected.
The other two actions, I am not sure about, if each motor has some additional individual controls, then yes, wire individual control to individual switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you mean that the joystick has four positions, i.e. forward,reverse,left,right, from the sound of your required directions this is what you may need to get wheel chair directions, using left-right for turning?
Max.

ronandavid

Joined Jul 12, 2016
Do you mean that the joystick has four positions, i.e. forward,reverse,left,right, from the sound of your required directions this is what you may need to get wheel chair directions, using left-right for turning?
Max.
yes thats what i mean in my question i dont know if that is even possible :(. do you have any ideas on how to make that connection work ?

ronandavid

Joined Jul 12, 2016
The forward and reverse is easy, you wire the motors in parallel so they both do the same thing according to the switch selected.
The other two actions, I am not sure about, if each motor has some additional individual controls, then yes, wire individual control to individual switch.
the problem is that the dc motors only having 2 wires and no control in it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need a 4 position joy stick controller, there are commercial ones used for machine control, switch sections are added to each as needed.
Search ebay four (4) position joy stick
Max.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
the problem is that the dc motors only having 2 wires and no control in it.
Ah, ok, yes, that is pretty standard for dc motors. I am guessing to go forward they use + voltage, and to reverse direction they reverse the voltage polarity.

As far as left and right switches, you will need some additional circuitry to control individual motors.

ronandavid

Joined Jul 12, 2016
Ah, ok, yes, that is pretty standard for dc motors. I am guessing to go forward they use + voltage, and to reverse direction they reverse the voltage polarity.

As far as left and right switches, you will need some additional circuitry to control individual motors.
thnx for the info ! :)

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
I Guess you can try using Diodes..
Did you try to have diodes in your circuit.
Could you give joystick circuit..if available (to know how the switch connections are).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you use discrete switches you should use interlock contacts on each relay to avoid inadvertent operation of two switches, with a couple of 2 posn joysticks you have automatic interlock.
Max.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi R,
If you only want the wheelchair to be full speed in all directions, then relays will do this, but it seems to me that you should look at H-bridge circuits and PWM for speed control.
Camerart.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
While I like Blocco's approach, one thing I noted; that when driving forward (for instance, the left wheel only for a right turn) there is little more than dynamic braking to hold the right wheel steady. Without dynamic braking it's possible inertia may keep the wheel chair going forward even though being driven by only one motor.

If it's feasible (outside the parameters you've set up) you could use two joy sticks, one for the left wheel and one for the right. Move both forward and the chair (if it's a chair) goes forward. Move only the left forward and the chair will tend to turn to the right. Move the left forward and the right backward and the chair pivots in place. Move both back and the chair moves backwards.

Another excellent point is made by Camerart. All on or all off. Not very comfortable. And if you attempt to modulate speed by moving the switch(es) forward half the time then the other half of the time the motors will (if permanent magnets) will tend to apply the brakes.

What you ask for is possible. But so far all I've seen is some nice solutions but not so practical. Someone mentioned looking into how wheelchairs are powered. My guess is that it may be done not so much by switches as much as it may be more so done by a micro controller.

On that thought, you'd need a forward / reverse joy stick with variable degree input. Meaning if you push the stick 50% forward the chair will move forward at 50% power (or speed). Neutral (or at the zero position) you may not wish to apply dynamic braking. You may wish to use revers (thrust so to say) to slow or stop the chair. All this works well enough on flat ground. But what happens if you're on an incline? Coasting (or rolling away) can occur.

I worked with a guy who always found problems with the solutions. I hate to sound like that guy. So my intent is to highlight obstacles that you'll need to consider and overcome. Somewhere out there is a solution.

Good luck.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IMO if true wheelchair style of control is needed, it requires at Least 8 modes of operation and does not include speed control, which unless very slow motion, may be needed.
Both FWD
Both REV
Left only FWD
Left only REV
Right only FWD
Right only REV
Left FWD with Right REV
Right FWD with Left REV.
Max.