Query regards Multimeters

uzielkr

Joined Oct 7, 2016
Hello friends, Im new into all this. I just want to know if all multimeters generally are powered thru 9V battery. Are there some models that are powered thru AA/AAA battery or power adapter? Also mine currently is using 9V battery, can i use a converter cable in the 9V input port so output port can look like a dc in jack and then i can connect a 9V ac power adapter?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Most use the 9V block, though I have one which uses two AAA. Multimeter batteries last forever (well, almost!). Why do you want to do this? There is a possible problem. When a multimeter is used to measure high voltages all its internal circuitry is at that high voltage, and so will be the external 'battery pack' and its connections.

There are these things: https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Connector-Multimeter-Microphone-BirdHouse/dp/B00C9VGZJI

My very old one had three 9V batteries and one D cell. There was another analog one that used an AA for the ohms function.
I have a meter that uses a large 9.4 V NiCad pack.

So no, but likely.

You will loose the safety aspects of the meter when the meter is modified and you might have a ground in an unintentional place. You will loose its isolation ratings etc.

Depending on your application and the cost of the meter, you may be able to get away with it.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i guess if go your local university physics department you see most if not all meters plugged to mains
it's not because they tightly monitor it . . . (me . . . shot up . . . now! . . . go to sleep . . . do it!)

uzielkr

Joined Oct 7, 2016
What about 'pen style' multimeters, I think they all run with AAA batteries but they are not as versatile as main ones!!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For what it's worth, the cheap (free) Centech meter you can get at Harbor Freight uses a 9V battery. They last so long, I don't think I've replaced more than one in the last 5 years. I wouldn't bother to use an AC adapter.