Query about Solid State Relay (ajq1341)

Fahrad

Joined Jul 28, 2011
I have a solid state relay which I believe could handle an 220VAC source. The problem is I'm not sure if it can carry as much as 5A (1.1kW). I have attached the image of the SSR I have so please help me. I need to make sure that I buy the correct thing to avoid throwing away money again.

I am assuming that the 5A250V~ (so that will be ~1.25kW?) written on it is the maximum possible source it could handle. But I could be wrong. I really need to be sure. I have searched for its datasheet but I cannot understand what was written there.

I am planning to use a light bulb and an electric fan in that relay.

Thanks in advance!

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Strange spec.. The way I read it the Normally open contact cans switch 5 amps but the normally closed only 2 amps. Si it should work if you use the N/O as the switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a solid state relay which I believe could handle an 220VAC source. The problem is I'm not sure if it can carry as much as 5A (1.1kW). I have attached the image of the SSR I have so please help me. I need to make sure that I buy the correct thing to avoid throwing away money again.

I am assuming that the 5A250V~ (so that will be ~1.25kW?) written on it is the maximum possible source it could handle.
I am planning to use a light bulb and an electric fan in that relay.

Thanks in advance!
This is a mechanical relay, not a SSR.
the data sheet only shows for mainly resistive loads.
Max.

Attachments

Fahrad

Joined Jul 28, 2011
I see. I was informed that this is a SSR. My fault.

So am I correct about the maximum possible load it could handle (5A 250V)?

Resistive loads only? You mean it cannot handle other loads like a fan which I believe is inductive (or I got it wrong again?) ? Or the datasheet that I have posted is incomplete?

Fahrad

Joined Jul 28, 2011
Okay, okay. So I suppose I should limit the current to 1A for the NC pin and 2A for NO pin. Thank you very much!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Notice rating for Resistive loads.
There is usually a de-rating factor for inductive loads, i.e. less than the resistive load rating.
And it is Form C or Form A rating, dependent on version
Max.

Last edited:

Fahrad

Joined Jul 28, 2011
^

Now I'm confused. How do I know the "de-rating" factor of inductive loads? De-rating sounds new to me. Is it like as simple as having the inductive load current cut to 10 times lower than the supposed maximum capable load of that resistive loads? I\(_{inductive}\) = \(\frac{I_{resistive}}{10}\)

Looks like I cannot understand what Google says.

I will be using an incandescent light and probably a stand fan.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Personally I do not like using those small PCCT relays for any type of power, it is far better to use it to switch a small 'Ice Cube' relay, Omron, Idec etc, externally and use this relay for switching any power device.
Also far easier to replace in the future if need be.
Max.

Fahrad

Joined Jul 28, 2011
Unfortunately, that is the only Relay available in our area. I don't mind replacing this in the near future. This will be good for one time use. :)