QR Flyback Switching Regulator as driver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Teiknethal, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Teiknethal

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Does anyone know if it is possible to drive a flyback via: http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/108380/ALLEGRO/STRF6626/295/1/STRF6626.html ?

I would consider myself as a beginner in these types of circuits so I have no idea what I am doing. I would love to pick at the brains of a few people that know what they are doing.

My questions are: Can it drive the flyback? If so, what is the input voltage to the actual IC? Can I run it off DC (figure 6 they have an AC input FW rectified before it hits either the IC or flyback) considering I have very few AC power supplies. I highly doubt it is easily possible, but is it possible to have some sort form of audio modulation run with this?

If anyone could post any info, or even a schematic, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    What is a flyback ?
    Is it a "flyback transformer", the Line Output Transformer used in CRT televisions ?
    STRF6626 is a Switched Mode Power Supply control circuit and the word flyback refers to the mode of operation of the supply.

Timescope

3. Teiknethal

Jan 9, 2013
    Ah, sorry about that. Didn't even think about my wording on that.

But yes, the FBT I'm working with is the largest transformer I have at my disposal, outside of a few MOTs. To the best of my knowledge it was designed as a DC FBT with the built in diode.

Also, does anyone know the most efficient/least self-destructive NPN (or PNP) driver? I have found just about every driver schematic available, however I don't know which are the safest (in terms of safety for the components/transformers) drivers that have the most power potential. It unfortunately HAS to be a BJT based driver because I blew out my last MOSFET a few days ago and haven't been able to find any since.

4. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    I'm lost. What is an MOT ?
    Is it a Magneto-optical Trap ?
    A picture is worth a thousand word so a schematic would help.

Timescope

5. Teiknethal

Jan 9, 2013
    Again, poor choice of words on my part. Sorry, haha.

What I meant to say is the flyback transformer that I am using for this is the biggest transformer I have at my disposal, apart from a few M.O.T's (Microwave Oven Transformer) that I also have. Attached are a couple pictures of the side view and the bottom. If needed I can provide a picture of the PCB pinout (with labels), but I don't really think that is necessary considering I already know HV Ground and I added 8 winds of 20 AWG for a new primary. (in the second picture ignore the red, black, and yellow alligator clips due to my new primary)