Q Factor in LC resonant circuit

stryzbiak

Joined May 6, 2013
I have a series LC circuit with a 2.8 mH torrid (did I spell that right?) and a 10.7 uF capacitor resonate at 970 Hz. I can get that frequency using a variety of combinations of L and C. What are the best values to get the best Q factor to get the best bandwith (most narrow)? Its overlapping some other frequencies.

Thanks,

Sid

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have a series LC circuit with a 2.8 mH torrid (did I spell that right?)
That would depend on how much power you are dumping into it. The word "torrid" basically means scorching hot. Now "torroid", on the other hand....

and a 10.7 uF capacitor resonate at 970 Hz. I can get that frequency using a variety of combinations of L and C. What are the best values to get the best Q factor to get the best bandwith (most narrow)? Its overlapping some other frequencies.

Thanks,

Sid
What is the relationship for Q in terms of L and C?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
That would depend on how much power you are dumping into it. The word "torrid" basically means scorching hot. Now "torroid", on the other hand....

What is the relationship for Q in terms of L and C?
"Toroid" is even better...:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
"Toroid" is even better...:D
I looked and looked and couldn't figure out what your point was. Were you really implying that "toroid" had to be capitalized?

Then I finally noticed the subtle distinction that your spelling had three r's and mine had four!

This double/triple vision thing is a real drag! I am SO over it -- but, alas, it has only gotten started with me.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I looked and looked and couldn't figure out what your point was. Were you really implying that "toroid" had to be capitalized?

Then I finally noticed the subtle distinction that your spelling had three r's and mine had four!

This double/triple vision thing is a real drag! I am SO over it -- but, alas, it has only gotten started with me.
Double vision? Whazzup?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Double vision? Whazzup?
I had Lasik back in 2000 and they had to take off so much material that my corneas aren't structually sound and so they distort giving me ghost images. The fact that I now have a cataract in my left eye that renders me functionally blind in that eye isn't helping.

It's REALLY fun when I'm trying to teach anything involving binary numbers!

My packet magnifier has become my best friend.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have a series LC circuit with a 2.8 mH torrid (did I spell that right?) and a 10.7 uF capacitor resonate at 970 Hz. I can get that frequency using a variety of combinations of L and C. What are the best values to get the best Q factor to get the best bandwith (most narrow)? Its overlapping some other frequencies.

Thanks,

Sid
The best values for L and C for the best Q factor are those with high Q. In other words, if you want a high Q LC circuit, you have to use high Q components. Other than that, it depends on the circuit topology. For a parallel LC, if my memory serves, the Q is 1/R*sqrt(L/C). But that is only for a parallel circuit. You sould calculate Q for your circuit.

The equation I gave is from a 20 year old memory. Treat is as an example, and calcuate the Q for yourself.