Pyrography

Enc2012

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Hello.

I need to make some simple pyrograph for college of mine but am stuck in a process.
There is a way to make this ultra simple with PC power supply but for this i need TL494 which is not in any of my power supply's.

Anyhow, i have few transformers ( 12V ,24 and one from microwave oven ) so i was planning to do this with such setup, but to do so i need some basic scheamatics or explanation how to make this.

Can some one share some schematics or ideas ?

Best regards !

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
:). I know what pyrograph is and how it works. I want to make my own, that's why i need help.
Get something hot and apply it to something that changes color with heat.

Or do you mean that you want to make a tool that you can use to make pyrographs?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
:). I know what pyrograph is and how it works. I want to make my own, that's why i need help.
So far, it's like you're asking how to make cheese from fruit. There's no obvious relationship between the stated goal and the equipment listed such that one is useful in making the other.

Perhaps "pyrograph" is an incorrect term.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hello Enc2012,

I'm having a hard time understanding what you want to do.
May I ask what you are studying? And where you are located?
Knowing a little of your background gives us context and a hint of your electronic knowledge.
Knowing where you are tells us the line voltages and parts specs., avail., resources, etc.

What I gather is that you have a college project that requires you to use the TL494?

And you want to control a surplus computer power supply?

This power supply will heat a pyrography heating tool?

Is this close to what you want?

Enc2012

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Guys, thank you for your fast reply ! I will try to explain in more detail.

The first idea was to create something like this:

but i dont have any PC power supply with TL494, so instead of this i was thinking to start everything from the beginning.
To do so i was planning to use some transformer and some basic setup. The final project should be wood burning tool with capability to use some thinner or thicker wire at the end, because the buyer is semiprofessional "wood burning painter" and he needs this for his design.

If i can archive this with some pc power supply ok, i will try to find one, but if not then i need to make this on my own.
Btw. high school - radio electronics, faculty - B.Sc IT, Central Europe, line voltage= 220 / 50 hz :)

Regards !

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Okay, I understand that you want to create a DC power source with an output that is continuously variable from 1 to 6 volts and will provide up to 23 amps.; is that correct? Do you already have the hand held device that includes the heating element, or do you need to build that as well? Do you have any specifications for the heating element?

Enc2012

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Okay, I understand that you want to create a DC power source with an output that is continuously variable from 1 to 6 volts and will provide up to 23 amps.; is that correct? *** Yes , this is correct.

Do you already have the hand held device that includes the heating element, or do you need to build that as well?
*** I was planning on using one modified soldering iron "pencil".

Do you have any specifications for the heating element?
*** No.

The final design of the burning tool is totally up to us. The main thing is that this works as defined by the costumer...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Okay, I understand that you want to create a DC power source with an output that is continuously variable from 1 to 6 volts and will provide up to 23 amps.; is that correct? *** Yes , this is correct.

Do you already have the hand held device that includes the heating element, or do you need to build that as well?
*** I was planning on using one modified soldering iron "pencil".

Do you have any specifications for the heating element?
*** No.

The final design of the burning tool is totally up to us. The main thing is that this works as defined by the costumer...
Do you have access to a soldering pencil that works on 1 to 6 volts? Does such a thing exist?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Nice. Then buy some resistance wire by the foot on eBay to go with it. Various thicknesses. Ask the seller for recommendation or use the calculator on their posts to pick a reasonable thickness.

You may not need more than 5 or 10 watts for something like that to char wood. Your computer power supply may be overkill in terms of amps. However, It may be just right in terms of cost.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
OK, but tell me, do you have some schematics how to do this with transformer / pot and some basic setup ?
The current required to heat up your burning tool means that a basic setup with a transformer and pot will soon release the magic smoke.

You could try a dimmer inline with the power cord of the soldering pencil. A 1000W dimmer and a duplex outlet mounted in an electrical box, with a grounded power cord might work. Comments, guys?

Another approach would be to use a Variac

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Digital Design 3