PWM with 555 problem

oopsSmoke

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Translating the schematic or breadboard to the perfboard, the one with solder pads, is a big hangup. I start getting confused with the common ground and source voltage connections. But yeah, the PWM. Anyway, it's not a specific request, just kind of the missing piece.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just finalize your schematic and I'll start the process. It can take a while (simpler the project, the easier it is). The drawing makes the actual assembly process much easier and faster. I can modify the drawing to accommodate whatever breadboard you wind up with, but a picture might help (if it isn't one of my standards).

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I built the same exact circuit in the first post from the OP, I also used an IRF640, all other components were all the same as the original circuit, My circuit actually works and i am able to drive a 12 volt DC motor with it, the one thing i did notice, is that when I first tried the circuit, it would not run the motor at full speed (or 90% PWM as the circuit states), but then I swapped out the 555 with another brand, and it works much better (first 555 was an NE555 from Intersil, second one is a ECG955M from Phillips Semiconductors which works better).

Why do 555 Timers from different manufacturers have different specs??

But then again I had the whole circuit powered from 12 volts, so the IRF640 was switching properly....

B. Morse

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That would be a logic MOSFET and CMOS 555. Fairly doable, but I wonder if the OP has moved on, this thread is getting kinda old.