PWM via RS485

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Jraft, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jraft

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    My main goal is to be able to adjust the duty cycle of a PWM chip (LTC6992 or something similar) remotely via RS485. My idea is to send commands over RS485 to a digipot (AD5228 for example) in a voltage divider configuration, allowing adjustment of the LTC6992's duty cycle. (Duty cycle of this chip is controlled by a 0 - 1V input on the respective pin.)

The actual sending and receiving/interpreting the commands is where I am unsure of how to proceed. Could I simply have two push-buttons connected to a MAX483 IC, one for high, one for low, and have the outputs of another receiving MAX483 IC connected to the base of a transistor each, which short the proper pin to ground on the digipot, corresponding with an increment/decrement of the resistance?

I am unsure if the MAX chips would work with just simple push button inputs or if I would need to interface with a PIC. According to the datasheet for the MAX483, Inputs are simply 2V for high, 0.8V for low.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I can further clarify or post a drawing if it would help.
    Thanks.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No, this is not the correct approach.
    The idea of a network is to communicate information across the network.
    You cannot connect the push-button directly to the network via an RS-485 driver.
    You need to encode the button information into a data packet which is then transmitted across the network using the RS-485 driver. The simplest way to encode the data is to connect the push-button to a microcontroller and then to the RS-485 chip:

Push-button -> Microcontroller -> MAX485

You can connect both push-buttons to the same microcontroller.

3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    You need a PIC (or equivilent)

4. Jraft

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Any suggestions on applications notes or examples of something like this? The push button part is easy but as far as interfacing the pic with a MAX483 or some other 485 device I am not familiar with.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You use the UART TXD output of the mcu to drive the MAX485.