PWM to 30A Solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You can amp it to confirm. I think you will be surprised.

This solenoid is not meant to be modulated. It's yea or nay.

If it is a shoe pad clutch, there should be a mechanical spreader adjustment.

But I understand your thinking. Consider this.

When the plunger moves....it changes the reactance of the coil.

Plus, when you moved the plunger....you gave it inertia(made it heavier)....this will effect reactance time also.

It can get very complicated and around in circles quickly.

It would be an interesting quest. You would have to tune it, and the frequency would be slow because of the plunger.

Geoturbo

Joined May 5, 2015
I will check the resistance of it and report back on it. I'm trying to find the data on the solenoid but here is data on one that is similar.

I've already tried a few different settings on both frequency and the gain and it is showing some promise on the project.

Some completely turn the solenoid on and off at a fast pulse another frequency setting just barely makes it move at a fast rate which is what I want. This is transitioning from full on to pulsing.

Attachments

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok, under normal solenoid usage, the plunger is either in or out.

The software program or you, can tell, by reading the output pin.

You might fully energize the solenoid and then modulate close to the drop out voltage.

Depending on how you modulate it, it might give you the required slip.

If not, as previously mentioned, you will need an indicator of plunger position.

And the software to handle this feedback signal.

And as you try these things out, keep an eye on the solenoid temp.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's what I thought - a solenoid in an automotive transmission which makes this thread an automotive modification thread, which is explicitly prohibited by the boards ToS.

Why is this thread still open? It needs to be closed immediately.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Essentially what this solenoid does is activate a reverse clutch only when you are in a chosen forward low gear.

Therefore it would have both forward clutch and reverse clutch activated when the solenoid is activated. I would want to pwm the solenoid so that the reverse clutch will only "creep or slip" just a bit.
What are these clutches a part of?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Welcome to the AAC forum.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Terms of Service (ToS).

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
Terms of Service (ToS).

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm closing this thread. If the OP has a reason they don't feel this is automotive please flag this thread, and explain how it is not a violation of our ToS.

Status
Not open for further replies.