PWM soldenoid driver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gibson486, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I am making a PWM solenoid driver using a mosfet. I tried to insert a bias on the gate with a DAC. I am doing this so i can achieve full resolution from the PWM since you lose about 30% of the lower end of the resolution due to friction of the valve. In other words, I am tryring to use the bias to crack the valve.

The issue I am coming up with is that the bias does not really do anything. Instead, it just chops the bottom half of the PWM signal and effectively makes it a 5v - Vdac signal. I thought this was what i wanted, but it turns out it does not really do much at all.

Anyone have any other ideas on what I can do to crack the valve?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What kind of solenoid is it that you need PWM control?
    Normally they are single acting/double acting devices that are simple ON/OFF?
    Normally a DC coil requires full voltage to energize, retention is a different story.
    Max.

3. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    OK proportional valve, not a solenoid valve.
    I have just used small servo drivers for these.
    Max.

5. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012

Isn't that the same thing as using PWM and a mosfet?

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The servo drive I used were PWM with ±10vdc analogue input.
    What are you controlling them from and do you have any feedback element?
    Max.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have also used the Nat semi LM759 to control these types of valves.
    Max.

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Bias on the gate is not the same as bias on the solenoid itself, unless you have a feedback loop controlling the gate. The MOSFET has a narrow linear region and in this usage is ideally either on or off, not somewhere in between. Biasing the gate risks having a high internal resistance in the MOSFET, thereby burning it out.

9. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Or you could use a valve in the same series with a larger orifice. This would give the same amount of flow at a lower duty cycle. This is done with electronic fuel injection for higher performance all the time.

10. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    So.... I would probably have to put "just enough" current through the valve to over come the internal valve resistance? I am guessing I would need to feed the valve with a bais via an opamp and a resistor? Sorry for the "GibsonCAD drawing". I know, it is ugly. And yes, I know I did not draw the freewheeling diode.

11. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Doesn't your valve provide a position feedback signal? If so, you should use that. The control loop will then automatically overcome the valve stiction.

12. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    no, it's the valve only. I am making the controller from scratch

13. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    In that case I suggest you start by making/attaching something (e.g. a pot or linear variable differential transformer) which will give you a signal indicating the position of the valve.

14. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    signal feedback will not work. I am monitoring pressure, not flow, so the valve feedback will not be of any use.

15. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Normally with proportional valves they do not come with any feedback item, the application uses a type that is suitable for the medium or motion being measured, encoder, linear scale, pressure sensor, load cell etc.
    This is then fed to the PID controller.
    Max.