PWM module in PIC - Is program access possible?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by theblackpanther, Feb 14, 2008.

1. theblackpanther

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Hi

I'm working on the PIC18F2550. I require more than 2 PWM output, while only two modules are available. So I'm wondering if the PWM output can be accessed in software, so that I can process it, do some changes and then disperse different outputs through port pins.

In which register does the PWM output reflect? Or should I hadwire the PWM output pin to one of the port input pins and then read it?

Thank You.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You should really go to a different microcontroller. Otherwise, you're going to burn up all of your CPU time just turning a port on and off.

As an alternative, you might consider building an external PWM circuit using discrete components - but your parts count and costs will skyrocket while your flexibility takes a nosedive.

In the 16-bit MCUs, the PIC30F and PIC33F series have 0, 2, 4, and 8 standard PWM outputs, depending upon the specific model.
    Have a look at this page:
    http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=55&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74