pwm generator with a variable duty cycle pic16f877

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by wewe, Apr 9, 2010.

1. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    hello , i need the source code in assembly language for a pic16f877
    it will generate a pwm with a variable duty cycle (from 0% to 100%) , the duty cycle can be varied with a potentiometer , so you will have to use the analog to digital converter
    the frequency of the pwm must be 10Khz
    please help

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Hi
    Download the datasheet for your PIC. Then go to section 8 (CAPTURE/COMPARE/PWM MODULES). You should emphasize on the PWM mode in section 8.3
    Hope this will give you a push in the correct direction.

wewe likes this.
  3. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    hello , i have read this section in the datasheet , honestly i hate pics and programming and this is only a small part of my project
    once this is done i still have a lot of work to do so i need someone to do this for me :p
    it's not really a hard program but i am really an awful programmer
    the issue is that the duty cycle is not fix , if it was i think that i can do it alone , but varying duty cycles from an input is my problem

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Since you are new in this forum I will drop the sarcasm. This forum is not for providing turnkey ready applications. I do such work but that will require a signed contract from your side.
    In order to get something out of this forum, you have to put in some effort your self. So sit down read the datasheet, and write some code. If you need some input or discussion around your code work. The members in this forum will be happy to help.

5. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    who said that i didn't ???
    the only thing i managed to do right now is to get the analog to digital thing right
    but generating pwm is another story
    in my place it's 4:30 pm right now , so it's been 7 hours in a row of reading and compiling
    and i don't think that my application is new or hard for those hardtime PIC programmers, i thought it's something common that might have been done and posted here already
    anyway forget about it , bye

6. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    okay , some updates
    now i understand how to generate the pwm however i still don't get the frequency of the oscillator
    the datasheet says that the pwm period is calculated with this equation:

pwm period = (pr2+1)*4*tmr2 prescaler * Tosc
    the only thing that i don't know is the Tosc , is it the same for all pic 16f ????
    4 MHZ , 8 Mhz , 20 MHz ??? what is it ???
    the datasheet mentioned a 20 Mhz DC oscialltor but i don't know if it's the same one that is used in this calculation

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30292c.pdf , the pwm generation is in section 8 (for those who want to take a look at the equation i am talking about)

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Tosc is the time it takes for 1 cycle of the oscillator. You will need a crystal for this PIC - see section 12.2 of the datasheet. You can choose any frequency up to 20MHz.
    Tosc is then 1/frequency
    so if you pick 20MHz it is
    Tosc = 1/20000000 = 0.00000005 (Seconds)

wewe likes this.
  8. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    okay , now i have other questions
    i've wrote my program that generates PWM
    please read it because i need some help , i tried to simulate it in proteus ISIS , the output should be on pin 17 , can someone identify what's missing ??
    i have set the prescaler of timer 2 on 1
    oscillator on 4 MHz
    pr2 = 99 (so the frequency would be 10Khz)
    CCPR1L:CCP1CON<5,4> = 0011001000 (for the duty cycle to be 50%)

; oscillator : 4 mHZ

#include <p16f877A.inc>
    ;***declare registeraion

__config 3fC4
    ORG 0X00
    GOTO MAIN
    ORG 0X04
    RETFIE
    code
    MAIN

BCF STATUS,RP0
    CLRF PORTA ;clear content of port A
    CLRF PORTB ;clear content of port B
    CLRF PORTC ;clear content of port C
    BSF STATUS,RP0 ;change to bank 1
    MOVLW B'11111111'
    MOVWF TRISA ;set port A as input
    CLRF TRISB ;set port B as output
    CLRF TRISC

movlw B'01100011' ; period = 0.0001 seconds
    movwf PR2
    bcf STATUS,RP0
    movlw B'00110010' ; setting the duty cycle time to 50% or 0.00005 seconds
    movwf CCPR1L
    bcf CCP1CON,5
    bcf CCP1CON,4
    bsf STATUS,RP0
    bcf TRISC,2 ; pin 2 of port c is an output
    bcf STATUS,RP0
    movlw B'00000100'
    movwf T2CON ; prescale =1 , timer2 is on
    bsf CCP1CON,3 ;configuring CCP1 module for PWM operation
    bsf CCP1CON,2

END

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    snesh likes this.
  9. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I think you need a
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. loop
    2. goto loop
    between the last instruction and END
    otherwise the processor runs through all the empty memory and then starts again.

10. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    didn't work
    i need to ask something , have anyone tried this PWM generator in PICs before ???
    do i need to create an infinite loop when i want to make a pwm or once the instructions are over it will create PWMs for an infinite time ???
    and in proteus , when i click on the pic to give it the "cof" file , there's something called PCB package , which one should i choose?

11. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Works fine until the watchdog timer resets it. You should probably turn that off.
    If you don't have some kind of loop, the processor excecutes the empty program memory as NOPs and then starts again from the beginning.
    [​IMG]

• wewe.JPG
      wewe.JPG
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    wewe likes this.
  12. wewe

Thread Starter Member

Apr 9, 2010
    thanks guys
    yes the problem was in that watchdog
    btw i have completed the entire project , my teacher helped me in the analog to digial thing and how to use it to change the duty cycle
    we made a function that return the corresponding value of CCPR1L for each value of the analog to digital conversion ,because the values returned by the conversion are not ready to use directly as an input for the duty cycle , there's a correspondance that have to be made (linear) , that was the trick , i thought that i will have to go for multiple divisions and multiplications and waste my time and cause some delays

13. Karthick Subramanian G

Feb 18, 2015
    i need a c program which generates PWM signal with fixed duty cycle ,please i need support

14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Well, why not start your own thread?

What have YOU done already?

We are happy to answer specific questions. We are not a "do your work for free" site.