PWM delay with Mosfet

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by rfeyer, Mar 7, 2015.

1. rfeyer

Thread Starter Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Hi all,
    since many of you have talked me through building a hen door opener/ closer with SPDT relays which allows concurrent lighting of a 12VDC light, I would like to add a feature of a time delay (motor has a 5 sec delay after 12VDC is received) as such:
    12VDC signal is sent to motor which draws average 1-3A, max 5A, but gets interrupted possibly with a 555 circuit, which allows a beeper to go off until 5 seconds elapse, then the current is allowed to continue to the motor.

I thought I had this figured out with the below circuit until I realized: the 555 works the other way around: it allows flow for a time specified by R and C, then actually goes off on pin 3.
    Is it possible to work it how I need it - meaning, output to motor is delayed for 5 secs, then goes high?
    This is what I found online:
    upload_2015-3-7_9-36-46.png

Rainer

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    What you have there is a motor speed controller, if you want a delay start, you need to hold pin 4 low for the duration of the delay, then make it high to run the motor.

So adding a 1Meg ohm resistor on pin 4 to pin 8, and a 4.7uF cap from pin 4 to pin 1, will give approx 5 seconds delay .

rfeyer likes this.
  3. rfeyer

Thread Starter Member

Aug 24, 2014
    TY UK!
    Before I start changing the schematic - I leave the current schematic as is and keep pin 3 as output?

Rainer

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    yes,

5. rfeyer

Thread Starter Member

Aug 24, 2014
    TY again!