PWM Controller

damianldaigle

Joined Oct 28, 2013
New guy, got a few questions. I've got a dc PWM controller driving a motor. The controller puts out 12v, at times I'm in need of more voltage for better performance. In the design of PWM does the output voltage needs to be consistent? If I were to hot wire a switchable 14-14.5 volts to the output (motor input leads) would it burn up the controller or motor from having different pulse widths entering it? Thanks

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Post a schematic or model and brand name of your controller. You may be able to just apply 14.5 volts to the controller without a problem. Post info before trying unless you can afford a new one.

damianldaigle

Joined Oct 28, 2013
There's 14-14.5 going to the controller but it only outputs 12. I figured this was the design of PWM so that the manipulation of pulses were the only thing effecting motor speed. Is that normal in commercially sold controllers or they normally output the same voltage as input. Sorry at the time I'm at work in the Gulf Of Mexico and don't have access to get further info you asked.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What do you mean by better performance?
Normally increasing the supply voltage will give you higher RPM.
The P.S. voltage of a PWM supplied motor is normally motor rated voltage +10% min.
Max.