Put in housing for microchip in wrong direction :S

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Hi all, i'm not 100% sure what they're called, but by housing i mean piece that allows you to mount a microchip on a board without soldering it on. I soldered this piece in the wrong direction on the board (so that the side with the inlet is facing the wrong direction as specified on the board)......will my microchip not work if i place it in the housing in the right direction?

Am i totally screwed....I had a family emergency, just planted the last piece on and ran out and came back to see it....

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi all, i'm not 100% sure what they're called, but by housing i mean piece that allows you to mount a microchip on a board without soldering it on. I soldered this piece in the wrong direction on the board (so that the side with the inlet is facing the wrong direction as specified on the board)......will my microchip not work if i place it in the housing in the right direction?

Am i totally screwed....I had a family emergency, just planted the last piece on and ran out and came back to see it....
I suppose you mean the socket for the IC? If so, it will work fine as long as you remember to put the IC in rotated 180° from the socket.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
The direction of the socket does not matter as long as the chip will physically fit faing the correct direction. The notches or dots are simply a guide but if you install the chip correctly into the circuit so that the pins on the chip get the proper signals,velts etc, you will be just fine and have learned that haste can create issues later on. As far as I can tell you are still good, just a bit wiser for your next project.

Bob