Push-pull component

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Imdsm, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Imdsm

Thread Starter Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Hi there,

I am looking for some sort of push-pull component, where I can for example have three wires, 5v, 0v, and then a wire that if I send 5v down, it will push a cylinder fully, 2.5v - it will push a cylinder half way, and 0v it will have it retracted.

If you can imagine a car engine, this would be like the piston. I want to use it for making a kind of digger arm. I can think of a design using a servo but that wouldn't really be the traditional "hydraulic" way that an arm moves.

[​IMG]

Do any of you know of a component like this? I have searched for solenoid components on ebay, maplin, all over the show, but to no luck.

Also, if I do use a servo, how strong are they?

Cheers,
    Adam

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Search "proportional control" and "linear actuator".

Imdsm likes this.
  3. Imdsm

Thread Starter Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. They are pricey to buy but now I can see how they work, they seem pretty simple! Thanks a lot!

4. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Imdsm likes this.
  5. Imdsm

Thread Starter Member

Feb 11, 2011
  6. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
  7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, the motor that Jaguarjoe linked to has a 50-slot photo tachometer on it; maybe you can just count the pulses from the tach to determine the extent once you'd retracted it to establish a zero point by hitting a switch or similar.

8. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    If you want it to behave like a pneumatic piston, then use a pneumatic piston with a proportional air valve.

By the way your pic looks exactly like a guy I used to work with. I actually thought you were him until I saw your location.