Push on push off momentary to activate sequencing relay for a volvo OD

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
The attached diagram shows my dilemma. The standard stalk switch function produces the latching requirement for the OD relay to finction. The new set up is a momentary push button in the shifter knob providing a contact to ground as part of the control function Im trying to achieve. What would the correct relay set up to achieve this be?2016-05-09 20.36.08.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Not really clear what you want.
You show an Option 1 switch, an Option 2 switch, and a 4th Gear Enable Switch.
What do you want to end up with.

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
Not really clear what you want.
You show an Option 1 switch, an Option 2 switch, and a 4th Gear Enable Switch.
What do you want to end up with.
That is the drawing currently used by many volvo amazon enthusiasts with the m41 OD upgrade and the sequencing relay provides the best way to "prevent unwanted activation". The switche in the diagram is an original stalk switch mounted on the column, stalk all the way up is off, pull down into the stationary position the OD is now activated. However the personal interface for the one Im building for a friend we have decided that the activation to simplify the process that the later volvo's had the OD switch in the knob. Later od used a different process but the key is its on the shifter knob. The stock knob switch is a real momentary push button non-latching type switch. As you can now see for this to function properly with this type of activation method requires that the switch must maintain a closed position at all times for the od to function. I cant drive with my finger on a push button holding it down all the time so I can utilize the OD. This seems to be an unachieveable problem for volvo restoration tech geeks. Read some of the forums about this and I believe rhat this is the web site that can understand and help me to have this method work as I believe it will with your backrounds in circuitry design. I will answer any questions and provide my experience in what is working and what is not. I would like to thank you in advance for your time and interest in my quest to solve this situation. What idea are you suggesting?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Still not clear.
Is the 1259750 Sequencing Relay already in the circuit or is that something you want to add?
If that relay is available, why aren't you using it?
If you can show a schematic of exactly what you want with no extraneous parts or switches, it would greatly help.

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
Still not clear.
Is the 1259750 Sequencing Relay already in the circuit or is that something you want to add?
If that relay is available, why aren't you using it?
If you can show a schematic of exactly what you want with no extraneous parts or switches, it would greatly help.

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
Thank you for your help. Currently what you see in the diagram is currently installed with the stalj switch: method #1 uncommon. The switch is no longer functioning and finding a replacement might be impossible. So I have changed the way the od activation will take place. There is a momentary push button switch mounted in the shifter knob. One side of the switch goes to ground and a single lead wire now is at the shifter boot. Thr switch is not latching and20160507_180715.jpg 2016-05-07 20.11.39.png therefore the only methid I can see is the build the 5 sugar cube latching relay set-up. There must be an easier way.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do you want the button to be alternate-action, i.e. one push turns the OD relay on and another push turns it back off?
Or is there another way to turn it off?

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
Do you want the button to be alternate-action, i.e. one push turns the OD relay on and another push turns it back off?
Or is there another way to turn it off?
That is exactly what Im trying to achieve. One push turns on.... Push again turns off. Is there a possible way to make this happen in your opinion?.Again thank you for your time in this matter.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That is exactly what Im trying to achieve. One push turns on.... Push again turns off. Is there a possible way to make this happen in your opinion?.Again thank you for your time in this matter.
That can be readily done using a flip-flop toggle circuit driving a relay.
The would involve building a small circuit on a perf board using a FF, such as a CD4013, a few resistors, diodes, and capacitors, a small transistor, and a standard relay.
Does that sound like something you could do?

P.S. I see my previous question was answered in your title. :oops:

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016
The would involve building a small circuit on a perf board using a FF, such as a CD4013, a few resistors, diodes, and capacitors, a small transistor, and a standard relay.

I believe if there is a tutorial or a list of materials simple instructions I have the skills solder on a circuit board. Iam not at the level of knowing where to buy these items. But if you could briefly explain or point me in the direction where I could obtain the specifics I will build one. What would the approximate cost be?
The person whom I doing this for and I would like to thank you for your time and interest in my mrchanical dilemma and sharing your knowledge with us. And of course thank you ALL ABOUT CIRCUITS.

NOWUCY

Joined May 9, 2016

Also I was wondering if this set up would work in the attacment diagram of a 5 relay latching set up?Screenshot_2016-05-10-17-02-48.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Also I was wondering if this set up would work in the attacment diagram of a 5 relay latching set up?View attachment 105896
Sorry I don't have the patience to figure out if that circuit will or won't work but requiring 5 relays for that task seems excessive and in violation of Einstein's dictum.

Take a look at this video and see what you think.
It appears to be a robust and reasonably simple circuit to do what you want.

Where do you live so I can suggest some part vendors?

Last edited: