push buttons and 7 segment displays

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
Say if you have 10 push buttons connected to a seven segment display and each button is used to display 0-9, How would this be setup?

I tried with 2 buttons first for 0(1111110) and 1(0110000) but for each button it displays the combined digits to show 0.

I know how this is done through a microcontroller but Im not sure how I can do this without. Can the seperate combinations be somehow seperated fromeach other and still be displayed on the same display?

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
You could do this with diodes. Each button would have diodes connected to the relevant LED segments. Will only work if you press one button at a time. Will need quite a lot of diodes!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You could do this with diodes. Each button would have diodes connected to the relevant LED segments. Will only work if you press one button at a time. Will need quite a lot of diodes!
Or one 74147 type chip, a BCD to seven segment decoder, and probably some 7404 ICs also

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
These decoder chips were difficult to buy in the early 2000s already.
I wasn't able to get HEX decoders through my local shop, and they also did not find any in their suppliers catalogues. They did not have internet already at this time.

You can do all the decoding work for a 4 digit display with a small inexpensive microcontroller.

For simple tasks like that you don't need an expensive evalution board. Simply buy some blank chips, and a FLASH writer. They are even easier to use than 74xx logic / decoders.

Or you could use GAL chips- however FLASH writers for these aren't so cheap, and software can be difficult to set up.

If you fancy, you could use a small 2716 EPROM. You'd use the pushbuttons as the address input! It could be interesting for a student, but normally microcontrollers are used for LED/pushbutton circuits.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You can easy get them(74xx148) at digikey in both LS and HC variant. My component vendor do also have them.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
How would you drive a LED display using a 3 to 8 priority decoder?
Good question. I used a combined datasheet for 74xx147/74xx148. And swapped the two of them. So the correct here is to use one 74xx147. Then the output of the 74xx147 should be connected to a BCD to 7 segment decoder using 4 inverters