push button up / down lap counter needed

Petrayos

Joined Jun 10, 2014
can anyone advise me of a circuit to achieve up / down push button lap counting to drive a multi LED display, need to count from 00 to 99 in both directions.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And don't forget to debounce your switches!

You'll also need two ICs to convert from BCD to 7 segment displays. (Or what do you mean by multi LED display?)

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

You could use a couple of CD40110's. It's a decade up/down counter with decoded outputs for a 7-segment display.
+1

I've done a few circuits here doing just this:

Simple - no debounce so you could see numbers skipping. I don't recommend this, but it will help you to understand how the other circuits work.

Ideal - with debounce, works well. May want to change R4-R6 to 100kΩ and C17-C19 with 0.1uF to further increase debouncing capability for switches with a lot of bounce.

Extravagant - pushing up/down button once and releasing increases/decreases count by one; holding either button down will perform auto-repeat - digits will continue to advance for as long as you hold the button down. Also will flash the display and work with a remote module.

Although now I'd use a ULN2004 in place of the UDN2981 and flip the direction of the LED's (cheaper).