push button to turn off circuit

lanfear

Joined Nov 7, 2009
Basically I have a 12V circuit which doesn't start well and sometimes needs to be restarted i.e. cut the power and reconnect it. However the plug is very inconveniently placed and it needs to be disconnected for about 10secs to be able to restart it. I have tried searching for something like it but always come with a Monostable 555, which is the exact opposite of what I need. So then I thought that I could use a the 555 but then invert the output with an not gate IC and then connect it to the base of a transistor. However I am not sure if this is a good way of doing it or if there is a better way. Any ideas?

monostable-mode-schematic.gif

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Basically I have a 12V circuit which doesn't start well and sometimes needs to be restarted i.e. cut the power and reconnect it. However the plug is very inconveniently placed and it needs to be disconnected for about 10secs to be able to restart it. I have tried searching for something like it but always come with a Monostable 555, which is the exact opposite of what I need. So then I thought that I could use a the 555 but then invert the output with an not gate IC and then connect it to the base of a transistor. However I am not sure if this is a good way of doing it or if there is a better way. Any ideas?

View attachment 84289
What is this it? the plug?

What I understand is that you wish to interrupt the power supply for about 10 seconds. What is the Current being handled?

How do you intend to interrupt the supply? A push button? Since you intend to rewire the Power Input anyway, use a simple On/Off switch :rolleyes: . Switch off, wait about 10 seconds, Switch On :D.

lanfear

Joined Nov 7, 2009
What is this it? the plug?

What I understand is that you wish to interrupt the power supply for about 10 seconds. What is the Current being handled?

How do you intend to interrupt the supply? A push button? Since you intend to rewire the Power Input anyway, use a simple On/Off switch :rolleyes: . Switch off, wait about 10 seconds, Switch On :D.
My bad. I am looking for a circuit where when I press a push button it will cut the power for 10 secs. The current is low, far less than an amp I imagine. I could do it with a switch and manually switch on and off but I am lazy :D

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How about this? The choice of FET will depend on what the load current is. D1 is unnecessary if the load is purely resistive.
10secInterrupt.gif