Purpose of this forum

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Be nice, be helpful, be ready to learn.
That about covers it for my rules.
Sometimes I feel differently, but nobody's perfect.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Be nice, be helpful, be ready to learn.
That about covers it for my rules.
Sometimes I feel differently, but nobody's perfect.
Well said.

Unfortunately in the real world there is no law requiring people to be civil (let alone, polite) towards one another. You can be as grumpy, sarcastic or obtuse as you like and unless you were discovered by authorities committing a crime or public misdemeanor, you can carry on regardless - perhaps grudgingly conceding that you may justifiably receive treatment in kind from others as your "reward".

As to what an OP wants to adopt from other forum members as part of their learning mode is entirely their choice. If an explanation goes over their head they can ignore it with a blissful yawn.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Unfortunately in the real world there is no law requiring people to be civil towards one another. You can be as grumpy or obtuse as you like and unless you were discovered by authorities committing a crime or public misdemeanor, you can carry on regardless - perhaps grudgingly conceding that you may justifiably receive treatment in kind from others as your "reward".
And yet when I was a kid my parents kept telling me that if I thought I had it tough then just wait until I was an adult. :(

I love being an adult! I can tell pinheads to go stuff themselves in as colorful of language as I can come up with then walk away humming a happy tune. :D

Try doing that as a kid once. :eek:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The worst segment of society exist in a state that the rest of society allows and enables.

I hope that didn't sound too much like something loosewire would say. ;)

But the concept is valid, we as a whole train and condition new forum members. If we are too harsh and pedantic it infuriates and alienates people and drives them away. If we are too tolerant and coddling we encourage them to continue behaving badly, rudely demanding and greedily expecting others to do their work for them.

Hopefully in the middle is a place where we can help, educate and by our own behaviour set a good example of how the society here works.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
As to what an OP wants to adopt from other forum members as part of their learning mode is entirely their choice. If an explanation goes over their head they can ignore it with a blissful yawn.
I think, that´s a worst case scenario ("ignore it").
For the OP it would be better, of course, to realize that there is "gap" to be filled and to take this as a reason for taking further interest to this technical problem.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
It was nice to see the op find off-topic , more different countries checking in.

More people replying ,more interesting conversation. The old saying ,more pictures.

The new saying to op ,Welcome to the Forum....you have made a difference. I for one

call off-topic the Cellar ,where it gets dark as you want. So........