purpose of a component in a circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mike Anderson, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mike Anderson

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 31, 2012
  2. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    I believe that is the shunt resistor. It is used in conjunction with the current meter so that the meter shows the correct current. I am not entirely certain how it works, but that is what it is used for.

3. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    It certainly isn't a shunt resistor. ;)

A shunt resistor goes across a meter.

I personally don't see the need for R3. In the scheme of things 0.1R~0.33R isn't much when in series with 11R of Nichrome wire.

4. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    oops... my bad.
    I looked at the schematic again and noticed that the resistor doesn't go across the meter, which is what shunt resistors do.

5. Mike Anderson

Mar 31, 2012
    could the resister be there to "drag" down the minimum voltage from the LM350K to allow a lower current through a shorter length of wire

6. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    It seems to be a current sense resistor without any sensor. It may have been included to allow current measurement with a voltmeter during development and left in the schematic as an oversight. If one were using an analog meter movement with a lower current rating, it would make sense to use a low value shunt resistor to increase the range but obviously it's not shown in that configuration.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    My thought is a safety circuit. In the event of a major short the circuit will survive.

8. Mike Anderson

Mar 31, 2012
    if for circuit protection could the resistors be replaced with a couple of diodes each of (say) 3 amps....?

9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Seems unnecessary as a current limiting safety element, since the LM350K has internal current and thermal limiting. Seems more like a series resistor to measure current by sensing the voltage drop...if you didn't install the meter.

Ken

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Diodes do not limit current. Neither do LEDs. All they do is smoke.

The resistors in question do set a maximum surge value. That is the only thing they can do.