pulsing electromagnet / light

mango matto

Joined Jun 2, 2009
Hey everybody I am trying to build a circuit that essentially will will pulse a light bulb and an electromagnet. I was thinking about using a metronome circuit and replacing the speaker with the bulb and electromagnet. I eventually would like to build a circuit that will blink a light bulb three times at a rate of one blink per second then pause for two seconds then repeat. Would there be a better circuit for the applications. Any advice would be great.
Thanks

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Have you considered a small microcontroller? This is an ideal app for one and will have a minimum component count as compared to 555,s and a counter circuit.

mango matto

Joined Jun 2, 2009
I like the Idea of using a micro controller. I'll be looking on futurlec.com to see what I can find. Any suggestions on what would work best?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I like the Idea of using a micro controller. I'll be looking on futurlec.com to see what I can find. Any suggestions on what would work best?
The Picaxe series of microcontrollers are by far the easiest to use and learn to program. The chips are very inexpensive and the Interpreter/Compiler is FREE! The 08M chip (8 pin Dip) is all you need for this project.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

U.S. suppliers

http://world-educational-services.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_14

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8322

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Note that you will need to buy a programmer if you will use a microcontroller unless the microcontroller supports in circuit programming via the serial port of the PC.

mango matto

Joined Jun 2, 2009
I will be using the Picaxe 08M that CDrive Suggested. If I am reading everything correctly I can get the controller and everything required to program it for about 25 dollars including shipping. I will go ahead and purchase a few of the controllers to have spares for future projects to save on future shipping. I didn't know this stuff could be found at such a great price. I guess I am used to the prices at Radio Shack.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
You're going to love the Interpreter. You can write and test your code without any connection to the chip, as the Interpreter has a built in simulator that has never failed me. If you downloaded the software you can start writing code right now, long before you ever have that chip in your hand.... You will never go back to conventional electronics thinking. Micros require a different mindset in electronics design approach.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
A PICAXE is a good and cheap solution for simple projects. You can use Logicator or PICAXE Programming Editor to program the PICAXE in flowchart diagram if you don't like to write the code.

mango matto

Joined Jun 2, 2009
This is my first time working with a microcontroller. I am not really sure what is going to be coming out of my outputs. Will I be getting the same voltage that I put in? I am trying to gather the neccesary parts to get this project going. I was thinking of an led and corresponding resistor for the blinking light. I will also need an electromagnet a relay and seperate power supply. Can I do this without the relay?
I apologize if my questions seem silly.
thank you,
ΩΩango ΩΩatto

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Did you read the .pdf files that are included with the Picaxe download? They clearly cover all operation and programming aspects of the system. It includes relay, Led and stepper motor interfaces.

The output voltages will be relative to the supply voltage used. The 08M should be powered by 4.5V to 5V and the output voltages will be just a few tenths of a Volt lower than the supply.

EDIT: You don't need a relay to flash Leds. See .pdf ' Getting Started '