Pulser-Receiver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NY10, Jul 30, 2010.

1. NY10

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Can anyone explain pulser-receiver in detail ?

Like, how the pulser and receiver work individually. In addition, how these two work in an integrated circuit.

At this point, I want to know everything about the pulser-receiver from basic concepts to advanced concepts.

It would be nice if useful links or websites are posted as well.

Thank you very much.

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I am unfamiliar with the term pulser-receiver. Can you provide us with more details on the application of such a unit?

hgmjr

3. NY10

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2010
    The application of pulser-receiver (with transducer) would be a scanning device such that detects faulty or errors in the component or chips. (like ultrasonic pulser-receiver device)

I am not sure whether I answered your question, but this much is I can tell.

Like I posted earlier, I just wanted to know how this device works in detail.

Thank you.

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Do you happen to have a link to a website that deals with these pulser-receiver devices?

hgmjr

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Are you referring to what is called a "flying probe"?

hgmjr

6. NY10

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2010
  7. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    OK. From the links you provided I think you are referring to an ultrasonic based device for detecting minute fractures in metal. Is that the case?

hgmjr

8. NY10

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yes.

A pulser-receiver is that with pulser integrated with receiver.

Anyway, yes you are right.

9. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I would imagine the Internet is full of information on the topic of ultrasonic metal fracture detection. Have you not found that to be true?

hgmjr

10. NY10

Thread Starter Member

Jul 30, 2010
    My questions is about specifically pulser-receiver.

ultrasonic metal fracture detection is one application that use pulser-receiver, but I want to know specially what each pulser and receiver does as well as when both of them are integrated into the circuit.

If you are not sure about what it does, it is ok.

Thank you anyway.

11. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    At least now your topic and question are clearer. Perhaps we have a member that has firsthand experience with this technology.

hgmjr

12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Let's make this the active thread, too.

Can you be a bit more specific as to your questions? Is it the generation of ultrasound pulses or the receiving of echoes from the test piece that is difficult.

13. newbies_hobbyist

Jun 4, 2010
    Pulse-receiver or XCVR (transceiver) I think this i what NY10 is talking about. Check for this chip MC145406. If your application is for fracture detection using ultra sonic well I think you need a special transducer (piezo) which is capable of transmitting and receiving ultra-sonic sound and is controlled by a pulser. the receive signal is then digitize. this technology is mostly use in geophysics study.