pulse width modulation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by 016chris, Nov 20, 2007.

1. 016chris

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    i am trying to make a dimmer switch circuits using pulse width modulation to dim a 5 volt lamp. The circuit needs to be powed by AAA bateries and power a 5 volt lamp. Can any one recommend any good sights to look for one or email me a good circuit

2. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    Incandescent lamps are very sensitive to changes in the supply voltage. These characteristics are of great practical and economic importance. For a supply voltage V,

* Light output is approximately proportional to V
    * Power consumption is approximately proportional to V
    * Lifetime is approximately inversely proportional to V 16
    * Color temperature is approximately proportional to V 0.42

Not that you need all this info. There are a gazillion sites dealing with PWM and lighting.

You might want to study the data sheet for the LM555 Timer. http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM555.pdf in particular the monostable mode.

Also: check out this article: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=11028

3. GS3

Sep 21, 2007
    The first one is notoriously false. I went to Wikipedia to check and saw you copied from there but left out the exponents.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    With a five volt lamp, a pot changing base current into a transistor should be all the control necessary.

5. GS3

Sep 21, 2007
    Except that the OP explicitly asks about doing it with PWM and also there is a question of using AAA batteries anda 5 V lamp which I am not quite clear about.

And then there is a question about "good sights" which I am not sure how to interpret. ;)

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I believe that might be "good sites".

7. 016chris

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    yes sorry that is what i meant good sites