Pulse train back to straight DC?

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
If I apply PWM to a straight DC signal, can I not just take that resulting square wave pulse train and rectify it back to straight DC? But this resulting straight DC out is not as powerful because it was limited with the PWM. Kind of like a poor mans current limiter. Correct?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
No. The PWM output duty-cycle controls the average voltage, not the current.
The current is limited by the PWM power supply and the switching transistors' current capability.

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
I'm completely lost. Its the same thing. Average voltage X current = watts. if I lower the average voltage with PWM using a low duty cycle then wattage drops accordingly. Of course the current is limited by the switching mosfets, thats how it works.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If I apply PWM to a straight DC signal, can I not just take that resulting square wave pulse train and rectify it back to straight DC? But this resulting straight DC out is not as powerful because it was limited with the PWM. Kind of like a poor mans current limiter. Correct?
I'm not sure what it means to "apply PWM to a straight DC signal". Your PWM pulse train generally IS a DC signal (in terms of being of a single polarity), so what is there to rectify. You can filter it to retain only (or at least mostly) the DC (i.e., 0Hz) component.

As to what is the limiting factor, that's a separate issue. One of the advantages of PWM is the ability to deliver high instantaneous power with low average power. This can be handy when working with servomotors, for instance, because if you want to turn the motor very slowly or get a smooth start, it is hard with a DC supply because you have low torque at the low voltages and so you get a jerky start-up. But with PWM you get a whole bunch of high torque "kicks" that get past the stiction more smoothly.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm completely lost. Its the same thing. Average voltage X current = watts. if I lower the average voltage with PWM using a low duty cycle then wattage drops accordingly. Of course the current is limited by the switching mosfets, thats how it works.
No it's not the same.
You stated that the PWM acts as a current limiter.
It does not, expect at the power supply or MOSFET limits.
The PWM adjusts the average voltage with the current determined by the load resistance.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
you could electronically calculate your avg. power by integrating the output of a difference amp with your PWM on one input and s DC level equal to the pk voltage of your PWM on the other.

Rectification will have losses that prevent a true conversion to your avg power by equivalent DC voltage levels

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
PWM does nothing to limit current. You need some other element to limit current.

"the current is limited by the switching mosfets" is not true either, the fets are just turning on and off a voltage.

Look this way: Say you put 10 volts into a dead short circuit; You get an amount of current that approaches infinity.

Now turn theat voltage on and off to pulse width modulate it; you now get pulses of current that where each pulse approaches infinity.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think Power Factor is a factor in a PWM output generating DC. ;)
Both current and power factor are primarily dictated by the load.

As an example, consider driving an inductor or a capacitor with a PWM waveform. You will get a Vrms and an Irms, but you will still be dominated by reactive power yielding very little Prms.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No. The PWM output duty-cycle controls the average voltage, not the current.
The current is limited by the PWM power supply and the switching transistors' current capability.
I would have put it slightly differently...............

In the usual case the voltage output is sensed, and that is what's used to control the PWM generator.

Its not impossible to sense current and use that to control the PWM.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Both current and power factor are primarily dictated by the load.

As an example, consider driving an inductor or a capacitor with a PWM waveform. You will get a Vrms and an Irms, but you will still be dominated by reactive power yielding very little Prms.
Of course, but I don't see how that applies to the subject of this thread. :confused:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
also, motor speed and starting wold be affected. pwm pulses start up motors more easily than giving them a low voltage dc that you got from filtering the pwm pulses.