pulse timer/switch

chazam

Joined May 19, 2013
I have a project which is defeating me. Trying to relearn what electronics I knew 50 years ago when transistors looked like garbage cans next to todays mini components has been a challenge. (I am within sniffing distance of no. 80)
I want the interruption of a light beam, 1 mm or less travel, to trigger a single on/off switch cycle with a duration adjustable and repeatable from approximately 1 to 30 milliseconds, with no delay. This cycle might be repeated in a week, or every 30 milliseconds. The switch should handle up to 500 mw.
I know this is not breaking new ground, (monostable multivibrator chip?), but any help would be much appreciated. If you guys see any flaws in my thinking, please feel free to comment.
This is to be used for pulsing a diode laser.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
The light beam would be created by an LED and sensed by an LED sensor (you buy them as a pair). The sensor needs to be connected to a Schmitt trigger to see only one change in the intensity of the beam. The output would be connect to the 555 timer's trigger, which is configured as a 30 ms one shot.
Well, it's not zero delay, but it is in the order of ns. :)

chazam

Joined May 19, 2013
Many thanks for the quick replies'
A B i g apology for my slow response, but all kinds of stuff seems to interfere with my projects.
LDC3--the trigger duration has to be variable because I don't yet know how long the pulse has to be. As far as delay, time is relative. To me, a ns is a figment of someone's imagination, <1ms should be more than good. Configuring the 555 will be my big problem. As I said, I come from the Stone Age of solid state electronics, the CO2 laser I used was the size of a can of tennis balls.
Edward---having the LED and sensor as a single unit would be a great spacesaver.
Dodgydave---unless I misunderstood, which is more than possible, the slotted opto does not have an LED incorporated. It would be nice if it does.
chazam

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Many thanks for the quick replies'
A B i g apology for my slow response, but all kinds of stuff seems to interfere with my projects.
LDC3--the trigger duration has to be variable because I don't yet know how long the pulse has to be. As far as delay, time is relative. To me, a ns is a figment of someone's imagination, <1ms should be more than good. Configuring the 555 will be my big problem. As I said, I come from the Stone Age of solid state electronics, the CO2 laser I used was the size of a can of tennis balls.
Edward---having the LED and sensor as a single unit would be a great spacesaver.
Dodgydave---unless I misunderstood, which is more than possible, the slotted opto does not have an LED incorporated. It would be nice if it does.
chazam
Yes it does have an LED and Photo transistor