Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I'm not talking about pulse width or pulse period

I'm talking about how fast or what causes the "speed/rate" on the pulse train

Example: squarewaveform
Pulse period is 100 milliseconds
Pulse width is 50 milliseconds

What sets the Speed/rate on how fast or low the pulse train will be running?

Is this called Cycles per second?

You can have a Pulse period at 100 milliseconds at a slow speed/pace/rate or you can have a pulse period at 100 milliseconds at a fast speed,pace/rate

What determines the speed/pace/rate of a pulse train?

What formula do you use to get the speed/rate of a pulse train? to know how fast or slow it is going?

w2aew

Joined Jan 3, 2012
Period = 1 / rate
Rate = 1 / period

If the period of the pulse train is 100ms, then the rate or speed is 10 pulses per second, or 10Hz.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Period = 1 / rate
Rate = 1 / period

If the period of the pulse train is 100ms, then the rate or speed is 10 pulses per second, or 10Hz.
example: 1 millisecond = 1Khz

Rate/speed is 1 pulse per second?

example: 10 microseconds = 100khz

Rate/Speed is 100 pulses per second?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I'm not talking about pulse width or pulse period

I'm talking about how fast or what causes the "speed/rate" on the pulse train

Example: squarewaveform
Pulse period is 100 milliseconds
Pulse width is 50 milliseconds
Actually, you are talking about pulse period. The pulse period is the time it takes for one *complete* pulse - both the high part and the low part. The pulse period is the time (in seconds, or milliseconds, or whatever) for one pulse, or cycle. It is the seconds per cycle. Invert this, and you have cycles per second, or frequency. So the pulse frequency is 1 over the pulse period. Pulse period is the speed/rate of the pulse train.

In your example the period is 100 ms, so the frequency or rate is 10 pulses per second, or 10 Hz.

ak

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Pulse period is the speed/rate of the pulse train.
1.) What else can change the speed/rate of the pulse train?

2.) to make it go faster or slower without changing the pulse period?
A.) sync to a clock signal?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
1.) What else can change the speed/rate of the pulse train?

2.) to make it go faster or slower without changing the pulse period?
A.) sync to a clock signal?
Do you even try to understand or listen to the answers you are given???

For a given 'period' you can change the duty cycle, the length of time that the signal will be high or low, but not the total time of the period. To change the total time or period it must BE CHANGED.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
To change the total time or period it must BE CHANGED.
You can keep the total time/period the same and the duty cycle

I'm taking about the speed/rate at which the pulse train is going

The Speed/rate is controlled by a Clock , the clocks can sweep the pulse train faster and faster or slows it down

I'm not talking about the time period , duty cycle or pulse width

I'm talking about how fast or slow the pulse train is going

A clock changes the speed/rate of the pulse train

You can keep the total time/period the same and the duty cycle

I'm taking about the speed/rate at which the pulse train is going

The Speed/rate is controlled by a Clock , the clocks can sweep the pulse train faster and faster or slows it down

I'm not talking about the time period , duty cycle or pulse width

I'm talking about how fast or slow the pulse train is going

A clock changes the speed/rate of the pulse train

No your not! The problem is you cant say exactly what you mean, you and I know why that is and what it relates too, but the way your explaining it dosnt makes sense, so either your going to have to post the real question (I am betting its the external trigger one), or find a better way to describe it.

By pulse train do you mean frequency? Or is this some kind of never seen before particle you have discovered at CERN?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
The clocks frequencys and the pulse trains frequencys are 2 different signals

The clocks signal frequency is controlling the pulse train signal

The clocks signal frequency controls the speed and rate at which the pulse trains signal is going how fast or slow

A lot of Digital TTL and CMOS chips has a clock input , which you have a clocks signal frequency

This clocks signal frequency controls how fast or slow the pulse train is going or how fast or slow it turns off and on inputs to outputs of logic circuits

When monitoring a pulse trains signal on the O-scope, how do you measure the clocks frequency? remember the clocks signal frequency is NOT THE PULSE TRAIN it is controlling and modifying the pulse train

The Pulse train signal is Being CLOCKED AT let say 1Khz

How do you measure the Speed/rate at which the pulse train is being CLOCKED at?

and you can't measure the Clocks signal frequency on the clock input pin of Logic IC chips

How can you do it a different way?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you are talking about a pulse train, I would expect a series of pulses and a blank period with no signal.
Can you explain better what you mean with this "pulse train" ?

Bertus

Ok this is what I think you mean, you have a signal but your triggering on the external input, what you want to know is how to measure the external trigger, is that correct?

The way your explaining it dosnt make sense, to me it reads like this.
Take RS232 the pulse train would be the RS232 signal and the clock rate the Baud, is that correct?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Pulse train = square waveform , high state, low state
Pulse train signal is 100 Milliseconds

Block Diagram:

Rich (BB code):
Pulse train generator output----> Pulse train square waveform signal----> O scope 
                                                             ++++
Clock circuit 10Khz-----------------------*********
See how the pulse train generator and the Clock circuit are Two different signals

The pulse train frequency/time is completely different than the clock circuits time/frequency

The clocks frequency is triggering the Pulse train

The Clocks frequency changes the speed/rate

1.) The O-scope probes on are the output of the pulse train squarewaveform generator , it measures/displays 100 milliseconds

2.) How do you measure what the Clocked/triggered frequency that the pulse train signal is being triggered/clocked at?

It's clocked at XXX? how would you find the clocked triggered frequency?

Last edited by a moderator:

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Here is the block diagram

I'm trying to measure the Clock rate from a pulse signal

I'm trying to measure what the pulse signal is being clocked at , at what rate and how fast or slow the clock signal is clocking the pulse signal

How can I do this

Here is the schematic drawing

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I think I know what you are asking now. You have a burst of pulses that are spaced apart. You can find the frequency of the burst, but want to know the rate at which the burst repeat. Right? Too bad I've been asked by you to stay out of your threads or I could possibly supply a reasonable answer since I went through the same issue when writing the program for my garage door system.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I think I know what you are asking now. You have a burst of pulses that are spaced apart. You can find the frequency of the burst, but want to know the rate at which the burst repeat. Right? Too bad I've been asked by you to stay out of your threads or I could possibly supply a reasonable answer since I went through the same issue when writing the program for my garage door system.
Well, if the burst keep repeating... They could simply observe the repeats and measure the time between bursts.

I guess I am thinking of something like transponder. It has set content so the burst length does not change. The content is just "thrown" out into the "ether", repeatedly every X seconds/minutes/hours. So let burst be the high interval of the "waveform", the no burst interval be the low interval of the waveform. Add the time for two intervals together, you get period of the waveform. 1/period gives you the frequency of the waveform.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are several kind of bus systems that will use bursts of data.
There are systems that will use a fixed interval between the bursts, but there are also systems that use a polling system that works like question and answer on demand.
Here are a couple of the EDUCYPEDIA that will give you information on the several bus systems:
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/computer/datacommunicationbus.htm
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/computer/datacommunicationbuscan.htm
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/electronics/I2C.htm

Bertus

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Pulse rate is something you find on third rate medical television dramas.

A correct electronic engineering term that you may be asking about is

pulse repetition rate.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
How do u measure the pulse repetition rate of any waveform or signal? How do u set up the o scope for measuring the pulse repetition rate of a signal or periodic waveform?

Status
Not open for further replies.