pulse rate counter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Hassaan Aslam, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Hassaan Aslam

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    i have have a frequency counter by using 7493 ic, a flip flop and a 7447 decoder. now i want to modify this circuit to get the frequency rate or the pulse rate. Can any one help me how to use a latch to modify this circuit. the circuit is attaches as attachment.:(:(:confused::confused::confused:

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    A frequency counter need a time base as 10Mhz, 4Mhz, 1Mhz, it's using decimal counter to divide to 1Hz, the time base will affecting the accuracy when we measuring the frequency.

I can't see the crystal time base and 1Hz.

If you just using 4 digits then maybe you can using 10Khz for the pulse rate, you also need a AND gate, the 10Khz and pulse should be connecting to the AND gate, and it will start to count when the pulse in the rising edge, and the counter should be stop to count when the pulse in the falling edge.

The 10Khz can be get from 1Mhz divided by 100, one CD4518 can do the job.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    In simple terms, to measure how many pulses you have each second (Hz = cycles per second), your circuit needs a proper 1 second time period to collect pulses.