Pulse Charging SLA Batteries

survivalsys

Joined Apr 15, 2010
I have just been labelled some sort of overunity nut !!

I live in South Africa and actually am a bit shocked with this type of response. There is nobody that I know that dabble in this type of hype. In this country we are more down to earh and definitely do not go for unproven rubbish as the moderators have have labelled me of doing. I find this lame and childish and this on my first post.

What I want to build is a pulse charger, not an impulse charger. There is no moving parts. I've already rewound a transformer to deliver 500 Volts pulsed with a 555 timer. and wondered what the criteria is. Is this too much to ask ?

Below my original post:

I have scoured the net, sites like battery university and nowhere can I find any real info on what voltage, minimum current, on off times to create a pulse charger for a 12V SLA battery. Some say short duration high voltage pulse (what is high). Some mention a 1 sec pulse etc etc.
Does anyone out there know anything about what parameters to set when building a pulse charger. I have build a high voltage (500V) low amp circuit and when I pulse the battery it makes a clicking sound.
Any advice would be appreciated !!

This is the battery specs:
Specification:
Cells Per Unit = 6
Voltage Per Unit =12
Normal Operating Temperature Range = 25oC±5oC
Capacity = 20Ah@20hr-rate to 1.75V per cell @25oC
Weight = Approx. 5.90 Kg
Max. Discharge Current = 200 A (5 sec)
Internal Resistance = 14m ohm
Operating Temperature Range = Discharge: -20 ~60 Charge: 0oC~50oC Storage: -20oC~60oC
Float charging Voltage = 13.7 to 13.9 VDC/unit Average at 25oC
Recommended Maximum Charging Current Limit = 6A
Equalization and Cycle Service = 14.6 to 14.8 VDC/unit Average at 25oC

Will say a 50 - 60 volt pulse of short duration and @ 6.9A be sufficient ?

I need my faith restored. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is nice that this got posted in Off Topic. That reference to an overunuity device is a real red flag. We find that having any topic open whatever is used as a testimonial by the people who profit from such scams.

Even more interesting is the discovery that any site purporting (from the name) to be critical of overunity devices is, in reality, acting as a shill to guide people to the main overunity sites.

We have fought with this problem for years. No more. There is nothing to explain to true believers. That mention of Bedini was a red flag, and you see the result. Your status as a South African is completely unimportant. My faith in the ability of people to perpetuate scams is unbroken. Leading off with a mention of one of the more ridiculous scams provoked the following imagined dialog: "As long as the Bedini generator is supposed to be able to do this, can we discuss why that might not be so?".

For scammers, disingenuity r us.

We can proceed from here, if you like. Simply post your question in the Projects section. Avoid the mention of overunity devices. Simple as that.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Why do you want to pulse charge it? I think the information on how to do it would be hard to find.
On a side note, I was surprised to find that my NiMH charger uses short pulses of around 15V to charge 1.2V cells and it works pretty well, so it is possible (at least with some batteries).

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Why do you want to pulse charge it? I think the information on how to do it would be hard to find.
On a side note, I was surprised to find that my NiMH charger uses short pulses of around 15V to charge 1.2V cells and it works pretty well, so it is possible (at least with some batteries).
A simple car battery charger. With a transformer and rectifier only. Is in fact a pulse charger

survivalsys

Joined Apr 15, 2010
The batteries that need to be charged are a number of SLA 12 volt that got replaced when my UPS got blown up. Since I cannot just replace x1 battery I had to replace all of them. Now I am sitting with a number of 2nd hand batteries which I want to charge in one go. My charger takes too long to charge x1 battery.

I have rewound a transformer to deliver 500V AC pulsed using a 555 timer. What has overunity got to do with what I wish to do. Wikipedia talks of pulse charging now everybody assumes that I am some sort of overunity nut - Seems everybody has been brainwashed somewhere !!

If you guys cannot help simply say so !!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The batteries that need to be charged are a number of SLA 12 volt that got replaced when my UPS got blown up. Since I cannot just replace x1 battery I had to replace all of them. Now I am sitting with a number of 2nd hand batteries which I want to charge in one go. My charger takes too long to charge x1 battery.

I have rewound a transformer to deliver 500V AC pulsed using a 555 timer. What has overunity got to do with what I wish to do. Wikipedia talks of pulse charging now everybody assumes that I am some sort of overunity nut - Seems everybody has been brainwashed somewhere !!

If you guys cannot help simply say so !!
I have to admit you perhaps got a rough start in this forum. But we are certainly not brainwashed. That was over the top. As Beenthere said. Just repost your question in the Projects section. Then we will try to help.

survivalsys

Joined Apr 15, 2010
Thanks t06afre. You bet I got a rough start. But thanks, I will repost in the projects forum. Looking at the links on pulse charging batteries that I found, it is a bit high tech. The technique in building a multi stage charger, and the complexities thereof made me look at pulse charging which seem to me the easier way out if one could get the pulse duration, discharge and magnitude correctly set up.

My transformer delivers nearly 7 amps. I could rewind with a thicker guage and less windings if I have some sort of guideline to work from.

I had a look at a number of imported battery chargers that claim to do just that, but talk about scams !! When you open them up and study them then they are all just hogwash and probably do more damage then good and at a tidy price !!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
No pulse charging has nothing to do with overunity. Feel free to ask about anything related to this topic. Your first posting got flagged due to the bedini charger reference.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Slr connector looks like the hook up for my first N.E.C. cell phone that I had
to carry by handle it was so large. I have never had a cell phone to match it. You could not
tell that you were on a cell phone.It was worth the size and large battery. N.E.C.
made the best cell phone ever.