pulsating light modules

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by eddiesoft, Apr 12, 2011.

1. eddiesoft

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    hello friends-

i am a newb to electronics and am currently learning the basics so i may fabricate an art installation i dreamed up. much of what i'm learning is helping, but my main idea is still way over my head.

here's what i want to do:

imagine a human-sized, 3-d triangle, glowing tranquilly with slow-pulsating light. as you move toward the triangle, the light pulsates faster. as you move away, slower. these pulses would be hooked up to some rudimentary electronic music device whose waves would pulse in tandem with the light.

i can't seem to find a "dynamic" motion sensor. all the ones i've seen in shops can either turn a light on or off...no in between. i imagine there's somewhat to modify these to have a range, but i have no idea how to do this....which is i guess why i'm here.

i'd love to have three of these modules in a room that react to each other, but i digress.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. PerunaPete

Mar 17, 2011
  3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Maybe an ultrasonic range finder, or three, one for each face. What is max range desired?
    What type of illumination?

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    an infrared proximity sensor would work just fine. Sharp used to have some really simple/cheap ones.

5. amcarr20

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree with the proximity infrared. But keep in mind any movement will cause it to speed up or slow down and even turning on the heater could have an effect. It would be nifty if you could construct something like this. When you say they will be hooked up to a music device whose waves would pulse the light in tandem with music. Do you mean that you want the light to react to the music?

Having both operating at the same time might be tricky... you would probably need to switch between either of those two functions. Constructing a light organ or color organ is a fun and easy project to do! Let me know if you would like to know more.

6. Eschatonic

Sep 25, 2010
    Your project has at least 4 functional elements:
    the light controller
    music generator/player
    proximity sensor
    a control and interface
    Just sticking to the actual question you posed IMHO you should consider hacking a ready made device. There are any number of car parking sensor kits available. Typically there is a LED output device showing how close something is. This could be used as the input to your controller - say a PIC.

Without wishing to seem patronising I think that this is a bit ambitious for a newcomer to electronics.

All the best:cool: