pull potentiometer???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by villapanama, Jun 13, 2016.

1. villapanama

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2016
    hi,
    i am looking to hopefully develop and idea into a tangible demo.
    i am looking for a part which I dont know the proper name for.

I am looking for a pot or a small device that would give a resistance (preferable) or a voltage as it is pulled. i am looking some somehing that can handle anywhere from 50 to 200lbs.

i guess this should be a comercially availalbe part as probably all of the digital hanging scales should use something similar.

it would be ideal if the part:
    was spring loaded - or returned to its resting place when no force was applied to it.
    should be able to handle a dead weight of min 50lbs would. be nice it it. was 100lbs
    if it has an "in-line" design it would be better

thanks for the help

2. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    A load cell?

3. villapanama

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I looked at load cells but from what I can see they record push weight sort of like a traditional scale, I a, looking for something that records pull force.

ill look again into load cells

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Look for tension load cell.

5. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
  6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There are also curvature sensors that can be set up to measure deflection of a rod, for instance, if you want to measure a force applied to the rod.

But yes, all you need is a tension load cell.

If it was me, I'd get a cheap bathroom scale and hang a harness off of it, so that a pull on the harness appears as weight on the scale. That's how we used to weigh our giant pumpkins back home. They're too big and awkward to place on a scale directly.

7. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    You might also consider a simple spring and an LVDT. If you are handy, you could even wind one yourself.

atferrari and cmartinez like this.
  8. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    You could also have a spring and a length of rope going round a pulley connect to a pot as a DIY version, but OP wants off the shelf.

9. Tonyr1084

Sep 24, 2015
    Interesting concept. If I wanted to do this I'd go to my bag of tricks (Junk box) and grab one of those sliding pots I scrapped out of an old treadmill. Put a light spring to return it to the zero point and use a small cable to connect it to the end of a spring that was rated to handle the weight load you want. Of course it would be everything BUT calibrated, and I don't know if spring tension is linear or logarithmic, but it would be an interesting learning process.

Use the slider pot as a voltage divider and use an Op-Amp to tailor the output.

Well, that's what I think I'd do if I wanted to do what you propose. Like I said, not "Accurate" but if you merely want a reference or comparison it should be fairly meaningful.

Oh, and those sliding pots from a treadmill, they're about 3 inches long, so it should allow you to have some sort of useful range - depending on the spring holding up the load.