pspise vs. spice

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by psihodelia, Aug 14, 2006.

1. psihodelia

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2006
    are they somehow different?

My problem is that I can't compare them, because Pspice is commercial version and I have only spice and ngspice - fully Open Source applications. I wish also to get a book, "PSpice and Circuit Analysis" by John Keown, in order to learn "spice". I have to be sure that there is not much difference between pspice and OpenSourced spice.

2. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Basically they are all the same. They were derived from the Berkeley SPICE. Although most of the models are the same and most algorithms too, there are differences between simulation engines. These simply mean that some of them are faster, more accurate and less problematic when simulating marginal/specific circuits.

There are also vendor specific enhancements, these include digital/mixed-signal simulations, more extensive device parameters and much much more.

For your purposes, I think it is safe to assume that the differences are negligible.

3. psihodelia

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2006
    thank you very much

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Pspice is merely a version of Spice for a personal computer, hence the insertion of the "P" in the name. Like n9352527 says just accept that it is the same as Spice for your purposes. There are others like Synopsys's HSpice and LTSpice from Linear technologies which are really just different strains of the Spice system.

Dave

5. psihodelia

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I know, some people say that ngspice (OpenSource) is the best one

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    There is also tclspice if you are looking for open source Spice alternatives.

Dave

7. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Technically, that is debatable. I can think of many applications where ngspice is not a suitable tool.

As with many engineering tools, there is actually no one single best solution. You choose one that best suit your main intended purposes and make compromises in other areas.

Each one of them have their own strengths and weaknesses, and also targeted applications, but these would only affect the small percentages of users that push close to the limits and need the extra features.

If you are just starting with SPICE and your main area of interest is general circuit simulations, then in my opinion any one of them would do the job. Probably, the main thing that you really need in this case is the ease of use more than anything else.

8. richardyue

Aug 21, 2006
    I'm currently learning how to use PSPICE for the design of electronic circuit. Who can tell me where I can download the book of PSPICE.

9. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  10. psihodelia

Thread Starter Member

Aug 7, 2006
    the best one is SPICE manual page:
    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/Electronics2/userguide/

do not forget also to check 'man spice'

11. munna007

Jul 23, 2008
    brother this link is not working.....can u pls post it againg....