PSPICE - Transient Analysis

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

I've got the student edition of PSPICE and I'm trying to run simulations using transient analysis. I place voltage/current markers at the points that I want to analyze, but when I run the simulation, the graphs show the steady state values. I want to see the values as they change such as capacitive voltages and inductive currents.

I can't show you any screenshots ATM, but I can try to describe my actions as best as I can.

mvaseem

Joined Jan 31, 2014
One possible reason for the behavior -- You probably have not used Initial condition for capacitors.
To calculate bias point, pspice opens all capacitors and shorts industors. So your transient would not show capacitor charging unless you provide IC=0 on capacitors.

dougc314

Joined Dec 20, 2013
I haven't used PSPICE in awhile (like 20 years), (LTSPICE, yea!!) but I wonder if you are running a transient analysis? Also in order to see transient data make sure you are showing your results vs time. In most SPICES you still have to tell the simulator what sort of simulation you want to run. They always solve for steady state, but won't run a transient analysis unless told to.

mvaseem

Joined Jan 31, 2014
Yes Pspice has option to skip initial operation point (called SKIPBP), but I don't think that would be needed in this case. From problem description it seems that would get resolved by putting IC=0 on capacitors, inductors.

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey guys,
I tried setting the IC values for the capacitors and inductors and it worked, thanks all. Just out of curiosity, what is the IC parameter? I tried to find in the documentation, but it's pretty dense.