PSpice 9.1 Several Values for Components

Analog_

Joined Oct 23, 2012
Hi there!
I'm currently developing an electronic project in PSpice, and by now all the sim's look right.
But, in order because I have to simulate a huge quantity of values, I'm wondering if is there any possibility of representing a passive element with a value table instead of a single value.
Actually, I have to start simulating a R and a Capacitor which values change with frecuency, in a range from 35kHz to 45kHz, so: Can I put somehow a table or a value list for each component, so I can get the whole simulation without changing values one by one each time?

Hope you can help me.
Regards,
D.

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
I'm not sure if you can vary two parameters simultaneously but you can definitely sweet a parameter while doing an AC sweep.

Give the variable component a global variable name in curly braces "{}" and give it a nominal value. When setting up the simulation click on AC sweep and also click on Parametric sweep and choose the variable component with it's sweep range.

I don't have a copy of PSpice on here but see if you can have two parametric variables.

Analog_

Joined Oct 23, 2012
Thank you blah2222.
Maybe you know how, but is it possible to create a "black-box" instead of the two parameters (R and C) and create the parametric sweep with its equivalent impedance (real and complex part) as the parameter that is changing the value?
Regards,
D.

Analog_

Joined Oct 23, 2012
In other words, I want to simulate an impedance-block which values (Real from a Resistor and Complex from a Capacitor) change with the frecuency variation, but not always increasing in a linear way (as a normal Parametric behavior in PSPice). For example:

@35kHz--> R=1800, C=3.4nF
@36kH--> R=1850, C=3.3nF
@40kHz; R=1700, C=3nF

Hope its more understandable now...
Regards,
D.

Analog_

Joined Oct 23, 2012
Ok, I've installed LTSpice.

Any Ideas of how to do it there?
I've seen the Capmeter element, which is described as "A vector Impedance Meter"
But not sure it's what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
These articles seem to suggest what you want is possible:
http://www.wseas.us/e-library/transactions/electronics/2008/27-1422.pdf

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~jan/spice/PSpice_ReferenceguideOrCAD.pdf

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/Electronics2/userguide/sec5.html

To do that, though, you may need to get into the SPICE syntax and modify the circuit there. The components will each have a set of equations that are mapped into a vector element for each test point, so it may be possible to overwrite this vector after it has been written. I haven't heard of someone defining the vector before the simulation takes place, but that might be possible...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What the excuse now?
We do this to help people out both to pick up tips and tricks, brush up in some areas, and MOSTLY because it's a good feeling to know you've helped somebody out.

We are NOT simply engineers sitting here, providing solutions for free, and on "demand". That's too much like work.

Thinking the world owes you, personally, something just because others have gotten help generally doesn't persuade people to assist.

It's all about attitude. I'd suggest you join the orcad forums and ask there, if you don't get an answer, call their support line (there may be a fee).

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I dont really think it must be so that hard to simulate an element which impedance changes in frequency...

Please if you don't have anything for helping me or further users, keep out the thread :)
You must have missed the post where you asked what the problem was. That was the answer, quite relevant to the thread.

You must also have missed the following post where I gave possible information as to how to accomplish what you want.

Good luck in your endeavors.