ps2/ps3 controller mod: auto level grinding, help needed

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bobcool, Sep 5, 2009.

1. bobcool

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi guys, little intro, I am just getting in to circuitry, but I work in construction under a electrician, before that I built computers for a living. I have good soldering skills and basic electrical knowledge.

The basic idea is to have the game character run right for 10 sec then left for 10 sec then rapidly press X for 10sec in a contentious loop. what I planed to do is solder wires coming of the main board for the right, left, and x contacts to a "circuit timer or timers". I remember a "circuit timer" of sorts used to build diy pulse width modulation fan controllers but the frequency is too high.

What would this "circuit timer" properly called? or is there a better option?
    Are there adjustable ones?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage at the switch terminals? It would help make a simple solid state circuit.

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Can't you just google for a software hack, install that on the PS2 and set it up to do what you want.

4. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Thats a lot easier and better solution than to hack into a good sony controller and make another controller of buttons.

5. bobcool

Sep 5, 2009
    I do and will, out of town right now typing from my phone.

I only have a ps3 and I have adapter to use my old ps2 controllers which I have no problem with hacking up and I have 1 worn out ps3 one if it's found out easier to be done with.

6. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    Software hacks are done by installing the stuff into a usb drive or DVD and running it first.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. bobcool

Sep 5, 2009
    ?
    I've used them before and had hit and miss success but I'd like to do this using hardware

I oped the ps3 controller but found it wound be way harder to use so I'm using a ps2 one only problem is i don't have one any more. I'm picking one up tomorrow