ps2 board diagram

Starfleet

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Well Im building my first arcade stick.. I tried to get help to this question from arcade forums.. No luck... People not helping outa laziness ;(

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/ps2_diagram2.jpg

I do not understand this diagram.. The soldering seem as if it will be easy enough compared to what I was working with before..
I just started soldering today so I thnk Im doing pretty well. lol..

I see the 1-18 list on the left.. But I have no clue which pins are which..

In advance, thanks.

Starfleet

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Anyone understand the layout of this diagram? What is what and how I would wire it?

Ive got everything I need to do this, but no clue where to wire what.

Some help plz?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The reason no one is helping you is because no one knows what you are trying to do.
Are you trying to build your own PS2 controller from parts?
It cannot be done unless you get a preprogrammed chip.

Starfleet

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Mr.Chips:
Thank you very much

Im building something like this.
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/arcadestick/home-made-arcade-stick.jpg

You get a controller, open it up and pop the board out.. Wire it to your buttons and switches and you have a arcade stick.. More or less..

Again I have no clue where the wires go(As far as the diagram goes).. Ground wires.. hot wires or how ever resistors wiring works.

-edit-
I can post more examples of controller board diagrams if needed. Finished jobs too.

Last edited:

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
I see the 1-18 list on the left.. But I have no clue which pins are which..

In advance, thanks.
I am going to take a wild stab at this. Use at your own risk.

I am guessing the "pins" will be the places where the membrane
shown in the lower photo makes contact. Left to right will be determined
by how the person writing the text was viewing the board. You
should be able to track down one of the traces on the membrane
to determine which pin was meant as left (or right).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why not print a copy of that photo and trace each connection with a colored marker?
Wire your new switches just as shown. A pair of wires will go from each switch of the commercial board to your replacement switch.

Riotblade

Joined Nov 21, 2011
I've seen your post on SRK and somebody has already answered it with a short version of this:

The pins it refers to are where the membrane originally contacted the PCB. In this case, the pin labeling in the image is referring to the stubs on the upper right hand corner of the photo. For this specific version of the PCB, those stubs may or may not be directly solderable. Other versions such as:

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/ps2_diagram7.jpg

have pins that are directly solderable and makes it a ton easier to work with. If you cannot find solderable contacts under those stubs (I've never dealt with that version), then you're going to have to follow the trace and solder it directly onto the IC pin it's leading to, which might be a little tricky.

Please note that the version you're using is listed as "Avoid" on the slagcoin website for a reason.

Another thing to note is that the Start/Analog/Select signals do not share a common ground with the rest of the signals. You're going to have to wire it up with two separate grounds going to their respective signals (RED/BLUE according to diagram). If you're planning to dual mod this, pick up an original PSX controller instead since most if not all of those are common ground.