Proximity Sensor and Linear Actuator Troubles

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by race-team420, Apr 15, 2010.

1. race-team420

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I was wondering if it is possible to use an inductive proximity sensor as a limit switch for a linear actuator? I had a limit switch used to stop the actuator at a certain position and once I changed from a limit switch to a proximity sensor the actuator would not stop at the required position. Any help is MUCH appreciated!
  2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Perhaps a link to the proximity sensor and a photo of how you have it installed?

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Are you using it on the piston of a race-car jack? ;)

If the HALL effect sensor is what you are using, it should work if you have a metallic piston on the actuator. You can also consider a magnet and reed switch
  4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    the prox is very common in industry, firing on ferrous materials. Post your circuit.
  5. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Please keep in mind all proximity switches (AC & DC) are for pilot duty only. The heavy current switching of motors and the like should be performed by contactors or solid state power handling devices. The proximity switch at the end of your actuator`s travel can be used to un-latch a power contactor to stop the motor. Hope this tidbit helps.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]