proximity detector

johnyboy

Joined May 12, 2012
I need to keep the cat out of the corner of the room where the guitar is. sometimes he likes to go there and take a ****. I need a circuit idea on how to make a proximity detector that will detect a low lying object, or does anyone have a better idea such as blue lasers. I want to sound a buzzer when he gets within 1-2 feet of the guitar.

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
Apparently water pistols work well.
Alternatively you could cut off a corner in a room using an LED, with an LDR filtered only for that colour/frequency. (simple couple of components)
Or getting more advanced,you could flash the LED at a frequency, then use a circuit to filter out everything other than that frequency. (will need a timer circuit and a tuned circuit, or a PIC)
Or more advancd, an ultrasonic range finder might be suitable. (sets can be bought for this, but they are not cheap, not particularly simple)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Love the vid. You've posted it before, MrChips. Still a great video!
I agree with the conclusion, too. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can't teach a cat s#!t...or where to s#!t.

Good luck with the proximity sensor, johnyboy. You're going to need it. I only hope the cat doesn't leak when the buzzer sounds.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Consider old-school solutions, such a guitar case to protect the guitar. We use a squirt bottle and a can of pennies to shake really gets their attention also. Sometimes a piece of rug they don't like will keep them away also.

I really don't know if a cat will respond to an alarm. Mine can sleep thru the phone ringing even when they're laying on my blackberry.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
for whatever reasons, my wife tried to vacuum the dog once. He was fearful of the vacuum hose/noise from then on. Maybe find one of your cats fears/dislikes, and place a reminder near your strumming corner.